Corsair Community

HX1000 PSU and MSI 790FX-GD70 Problem

sparrownightmar

Hi. This problem is driving me nuts. Here is the problem.

I have just built a new machine. I originally had put in another brand 800W PSU but found out it was a bit wimpy for the new system, so I decided to replace it with a HX1000 PSU. However, this is where my problems started.

The system is built with the following specs...

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Box Edition.

MB MSI 790FX-GD70 Socket AM3 board.

Memory is 4 Corsair 2GB DDR3 DIMMs (sorry, I can't remember the exact model, but it is compatable according to the Corsair memory configurator.)

Video 2 Crossfired Sapphire ATI HD 4850 1GB PCIE HDMI Video Cards.

Sound Creative Labs X-Fi FDatality Pro PCIE card.

7 Assorted SATA II Hard Drives.

1 SATA II ASUS DVD-RW Drive

Case is an Antec 1200

Cooler is a ThermalTake SpinQ.

This is technically the second HX1000 I have tried. The first one did the same exact thing and I RMAed it to NewEgg and got this one.

Now keep in mind that the system works fine but is a bit unstable with the 800W in it. It's power is marginal and I get video card errors due to insufficient power from the old supply.

Now on to the exact problem. I installed the PSU and double checked that all cables are in properly. But... The instant I turn on the power switch on the PSU, the system beeps in what sounds like 8 short rapid beeps, then a very short pause and then 8 more short beeps etc.. This continues until I turn off the switch on the power supply. The first HX1000 and this new one do exactly the same thing, but the old 800 doesnt.

Is it possible that I am putting too much load on the rail. I have 3 Hard drives and my DVD plugged into the top row right black connector on the supply with a 4 jack SATA power cable. The second 4 are connected to the middle top Black Connector on the supply with another 4 jack SATA Cable. The top left Black Connector jack is used to power my fans and blue CC lighting, through a single 4 connector molex cable.

The PCIE Video cards, MB24Pin and CPU 8Pin jacks are using the non modular cables.

Am I doing something wrong for this supply. I have attempted to detect problem components but removing an entire string of drives does not help. I can't unde3rstand why I am having this much trouble when the old PSU worked without any beeps. I am also rather surprised that it does it even before I turn on the soft power. All I have to do is turn on the main power supply switch on the back to get the problem.

The really odd thing I have never see before ever is that when it beeps, all of the MB lights as well as my CC lighting flashes in time with the beeps. Please help. I do not want to have to rip this box apart again. It's been down for over 2 weeks due to this issue.

Any help appreciated...

Rich

I checked with MSI and they have not seen this before. The board isn't even posting or even initializing for that matter. Yes it is the system I listed in my question. Which is basically a brand new system.

I have been building systems for almost 20 years and I have never seen this particular problem before. The blinking is what is getting to me. The CC lights are in no way attached to the MB, yet they are blinking as well. This tells me it is something with the PSU not the MB.

This is my first try with Corsair PSUs, and up until now, it has not been a very good experience. I have over $1500 worth of brand new and very pricey computer components sitting there useless.

What does the motherboard manual say the beeping means? Also, is this the same system as in your specs (upgraded), or a different PC?

Okay, so it ALMOST spun up, then went back to the beep beep beep flash flash flash etc.. Thing. Well I tried disconnecting the PSU from perpherals. I took off 4 of the hard drives, same thing. I took off the fans and CC lights, same thing, then I took off the last three drives and the DVD. Same thing... Ok so I figure it might be a loose connector somewhere. I make sure the board and video supplies are connected tightly then I reconnect all of the drives, fans etc. I turn on the power switch. No blink and beep.. At this point I am happy to get rid of the beep. The motherboard shows one blue light which is correct for it in standby. I push the soft power button and whammo.... NOTHING. no blink, no beep, no fan spinup, no drive spinup, no anything......

Okay. At this point, I am pretty sure it probably fragged my brand new motherboard. I disconnect it and plug my old 800Watt Xion in. turn it on, get a blue light. Press soft power on and everything starts working... It is DEFINITELY the PSU. 2 PSUs, same exact problem... I think Corsair may have lost a PSU customer. For laughs, I plugged it into an old box I use as a server. Same issue, no power, no anything. I am not going to mess with this anymore. I am not willing to risk a large lot of very expensive hardware on a flaky PSU. The old one may have been under powered, but that company makes a higher wattage PSU and I KNOW their brand works with my system so unless someone at Corsair can tell me what the heck is wrong with this thing, I am scratchiong them off of my list of acceptable brands for PSUs.

I hope someone from Corsair responds soon because once I remove this thing from my system, it is NOT going back in.

I just got an RMA from Newegg. From the newer reviews on Newegg, it looks like I am not the only one having odd issues with this unit. They have some notices replied to the reviews telling folks to get a FA (Fault Analasys) RMA if they are having problems with the HX1000

You may just want to call directly in the morning, as that would be the fastest way to contact their support team.

2 questions:

1. Does your MOBO have a secondary GPU power connector on the motherboard itself? They are usually a 4 pin molex or 4 pin floppy connector although I have seen a couple that use a SATA power connector. If yes, DO NOT use this connector regardless of what your MOBO manual says. It's not needed.

2. Did you use THIS DIAGRAM and make sure you have the GPUs on a seperate rail?

No, my MB doesn't have a built in PCIE or GPU power connector.and yes I had both cards on separate rails. I even tried removing one of the video cards, same problem. The only GPU Power connectors I have are a single 6 pin on each video card.

2 questions:

1. Does your MOBO have a secondary GPU power connector on the motherboard itself? They are usually a 4 pin molex or 4 pin floppy connector although I have seen a couple that use a SATA power connector. If yes, DO NOT use this connector regardless of what your MOBO manual says. It's not needed.

2. Did you use THIS DIAGRAM and make sure you have the GPUs on a seperate rail?

Archived