Corsair Community

Computer boots for half a second then shuts down

regi

Today i did my first real customization of my PC, I got the corsair 750w on recommendation that it would work well with the new GTX 295 i got as a present. (i personally am not that tech minded so i assumed it would be fine) My old power supply which came with the computer worked fine, but didnt have either the power or the pins.

After putting all th parts in, i keep on getting this issue, where the fans run for half a second then stop (same with the LED's). (i put my old PSU and graphics cards in and the computer booted up fine)

The only thing i have noticed is that on my asus vegas 2 motherboard there is a socket that was previously being used by the old power supply, im not sure what its called, but on the wire from the PSU it says P3. It basically looks like a 6 or 8 pin, just with 4.

I was just wondering if it was this unused socket that was the reason, or if its due to something else?

Thanks for the rply, hadnt realised that one of them split in to 4+4 instead of 6+2.

Now i have a different issue though. The computer gets to varying aread of the boot sequence, then shuts down...

any reason why this may be occuring? All the fans and lights come on on the various parts.

• Corsair Employee

We can try replacing the PSU for you if you like, just use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

However, we have seen that other components and grounding issue cause random shutdown. If possible I would test the PSU in a different system and make sure you can duplicate the same issues before having it replaced.

thanks for the support, but i managed to get it working, the heatsync had come loose and it was just automatically shutting because of it (i assume this since when i tightened it it all started working)

But thanks again :)

Archived