Corsair Community

not sure if my memory is bad

hi i have a 3x2gb 1600mhz kit and asus rampage ii extreme. running windows vista sp2 also. when i ran memtest in windows, i get multiple errors and sudden bsod. but when i ran memtest upon boot up, i dont get any errors and breeze through the proccess. by the way, i run to threads of memtest in windows with 2000mb each.

is my memory bad or is there any other possible reason? thanks!

thanks for the quick reply. yes i do run memtest v2.11 with a bootable cd. it runs flawlessly. but when i run it in windows, i get errors. does that mean that the rams are ok? what other possible explanation is there? a bad os install? i also used the xmp profile so the voltage are 1.35V and 1.65V

thanks!

specs are uploaded by the way. sry about that

just an update....run each stick in slot 1 in windows memtest and did not found any errors with 2 passes each. will try the other slots to see if mobo defective, by the way, is it not that when running memtest in windows some part of the memory is not actually tested? then how can know if a pass is actually a pass?

another update. just test all slots. slots 1 and 2 works fine. but when i use slot 3 something weird happens. the method i use is to run 4 threads of memtest in windows with 300mb each. with this method, no error was detected but a BSOD of 0x00000050 occurs. to make sure, i restart and run memtest again but this time only using 1 thread with 1000mb. the test runs smoothly.

i also found out that 4 threads of 300mb each used more than the available ram that's why when i chose the option all available memory, the test went smooth. so no error even at 3rd slot

now problem is when using tri channel. when all 3 mems are plugged in, errors begin to show up.

can anyone tell me what;s wrong?

one more thing i observed, currently using tri channel and when i only test about 80% of the memory available, no error appears. but when i use all the available memory, that's when memory errors starts showing. is it because that some of the data are actually written on the hdd, video ram rather than the memory itself?

Memtest has nothing to do with your HDD or video memory. Having said that, running memtest in windows is useless as a certain amount will always be reserved for the OS, and if it attempts to test that memory it won't be able to.

Are you actually having any problems with normal operations?

Archived