Corsair Community

Extremely slow 64GB Flash Voyager

dummkopf

I have a 64 GB Flash Voyager that I've had now for around 3 months The one thing that is very disturbing is the extremely slow writing. A 6 GB folder will take around 3 - 4 hours to copy. Even when I copy the individual folders (6 folders) one at a time it can take around 1 hour. Still very slow. What's wrong? This is a Mac OS 10.5.7 formatted drive.

• Corsair Employees
That is not uncommon I would try testing the drive on a Windows system with the HD-Bench software to test the performance. And use the Fat32format Utility found here and it should bring the drive back to its original state then you can change the properties in device manager to non-removable and format the drive to NTFS or any file system you want after the test.

What is not uncommon? That it takes 3-4 hours to copy around 6GB. You've got to be kidding me! Why are you telling me such hogwash? I did have a 32GB Corsair and I had no complaints.

I also have a Verbatim 4GB flash drive where I can write around 3GB in around 20 minutes!

So what's the problem? A bad drive!

I'm sorry that I even started this thread because of the BS answers that I've gotten. In the meantime I've contacted Corsair Support addressing this problem, let's see what Corsair Support has to say.

And this is for Wired: DUH!

I'm sorry that I even started this thread because of the BS answers that I've gotten. In the meantime I've contacted Corsair Support addressing this problem, let's see what Corsair Support has to say.

And this is for Wired: DUH!

Ram Guy is from Corsair Support. Have you ran the test that he asked you to do? They'll ask you to do the same test regardless of how you contact them.

As for your comment towards me, were you referring to the album, band, language, airport, or the disorder? KDW.

• Corsair Employees

dummkopf

The report you gave is open to interpretation and why I asked you to run that test so we can get a better idea of the drives performance and make a better determination of the issue. And the file copy performance on a MAC or Apple may be slower especially with larger flash drives and lots of smaller files and why the comment "that may be normal". However if you just want to get the drive replaced I do not have a problem with that, please use the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace it.

That is not uncommon I would try testing the drive on a Windows system with the HD-Bench software to test the performance. And use the Fat32format Utility found here and it should bring the drive back to its original state then you can change the properties in device manager to non-removable and format the drive to NTFS or any file system you want after the test.

I know nothing about PCs. I'm a Mac guy - always have been always will be. A Mac Guy always assumes that when a product is supposed to work on a Mac and doesn't, he doesn't have to rush to a PC to check it out. Mac guys are not rocket scientists like PC guys.

BTW I got an RMA from Corsair support to return the drive. Like it or not I'll be back to share the results of the replacement drive.

dummkopf

And the file copy performance on a MAC or Apple may be slower especially with larger flash drives and lots of smaller files and why the comment "that may be normal".

So you are basically telling me that you've actually never tested your drive on a Mac running 10.5.7, and that you're just guessing that it may be slower. And you're also actually saying that the copy performance of copying a 6 GB folder in around 4 hours could be normal! Have a lot of Mac users returned 64 GB drives? If not than I'm sure that mine is defective!

But I'm getting a new one. Let's see what happens!

So you are basically telling me that you've actually never tested your drive on a Mac running 10.5.7, and that you're just guessing that it may be slower.
No, he's not saying that at all. We test extensively on many different OSs so there is no guessing to it. The term "may" was used for 2 reasons.

1. A huge number of factors can influence issues like this.

2. You haven't tried the tests RAM GUY suggested so it's virtually impossible to guess if any of those factors apply to you or if any fixes RAM GUY can offer would be of any use to you.

• Corsair Employees
He is using a MAC with that software may not run on Apple or Mac, the reason I suggested using a Windows based system is the software to test the drive is all done in Windows, like I said before if you just want to get the drive replaced then please use the link I provided previously.

• 2 weeks later...

Things are looking a lot better! I just got my replacement drive and getting respectable write speeds. As an example, a 16gb music folder made up of 240 folders and 3000 songs, took about 22 minutes to write. That's around 12mb/s!

BTW the drive is formatted: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Archived