Corsair Community

TX750, weird boot

sebjlan

Hi

I put together my new system a few days ago with a TX750 PSU. It ran fine and everything the first day but now when I hit the power button it turns on for about a second, then it shuts down and then without me hitting the power button again it turns on again and boots up normally with 1 beep indicating that everything is okay.

Sometimes it turns on for about 1 second and then shuts down twice before booting correctly.

Could this be an indication of a bad PSU?

I tried attaching a zipped video of it but it keeps failing.

Thanks in advance

• Corsair Employees

Shutting down once before a full boot is a normal behavior on a lot of the Intel chipset based motherboards.

You can easily test a power supply for functionality with a simple paperclip. First, disconnect all the cables from your motherboard and other devices, but leave the power supply plugged into the wall. Next, bend the paperclip until you have a U shape. Find the 24-pin ATX connector and plug one part of the paperclip into the socket where the green wire ends, and the other end into the socket where a black wire ends. Make sure the power switch on the back of the PSU is on, (should be the I symbol) and the fan should spin up. If it does spin up and stays on; then your PSU is most likely fine.

I tried the paperclip test and my PSU stayed on. I also heard from a friend of mine that his PC behaves similarly so I guess my PSU is fine. I also tested the 5V and 12V rails on a multimeter and the readings were fine.

The reason I was worried is that I've never seen nor heard of it before. So I'm curious to find out if it is only common on newer Intel chipset based motherboards?

Do you happen to have a (brief) explanation of this behavior or perhaps a link to somewhere I can read about it?

Thank you :):

Archived