Corsair Community

hx450 +12v out of spec

pissartist

hi

my psu is 2 days old and my +12v rail is at 12.566, its been like this since iv got it.

ive taking out the memory 1 by 1 and and still the same. ive taking out the 2hd and dvd player and theres a slight drop.

temperatures are fine whether its at 2ghz or 2.8ghz and the +12v rail stays at 12.566 regardless but goes to 12.613 under full load.

ive checked bios speedfan asrock software and they give very similar readings.

so i take it im going to have to either test psu on other system or get multimeter to check true Volt.

Anyone else got any other ideas or have i answered my own question?

cheers

ive got latest bios 1.50

Hi

im expecting a multimeter to arrive tomorrow or thursday to test true voltages, if still well out i,ll be sending it back to ebuyer as they will reimburse my added cost and give me me an option of refund or new psu.

thanks for replying

yes im aware about unreliable software and i know bios sensor could be wrong also, so thats why im going to check with multimeter just to be sure.

when i run orthos +12v goes to 12.613 and has rebooted once while i was out of the room.

i dont want to send it back but i will be if multimeter reads the same.

cheers

received my psu today and guess what still the same +12v @12.566 in bios and 12.60 with multimeter.

i decided to try an old alpha power 600w to see the +12v rail and it read 12.196 in bios and 12.36 with full load.

i then tried my older GA-73PVM-S2H board with the corsair and it was 12.365in bios then used the alpha power and that read 11.92

dont think the hx450 wants to play nice with me

• Corsair Employee

pissartist,

For testing purpose only, can you strip your system down to barebone and check the 12v with a voltmeter? If it reads lower, then check it again without the video card. The system should still power on without the video card.

• Corsair Employee

As I figured... the PSU should be fine. The power management is done by the motherboard, if the motherboard "thinks" it isn't getting enough on 12v then it will dial it up. This also explains why the 12v reading on your 600w is much lower as it is pushing more amperage through this rail.

I would suggest you to try a different BIOS revision. Base on my calculation, this PSU should be sufficient for your configuration; there could be a power management bug that keeping the 12v dialed so high.

RAM GUY

i also thought it could be my motherboard bios and i tried a few bios versions but still no dice.

i do understand what your saying but on my other m/board it was 12.37@idle which i think is still abit high even though inside regulations.

the first psu i got , the techies at ebuyer said was faulty so to me the 2nd psu does the same thing which also means will be faulty to them or they didnt check the psu and took me at word value.

so i will be returning the psu back to ebuyer

maybe im being to pickie but i paid a lot of money for the psu

RAM GUY

cheers

im thinking about getting the hx520w, ive seen a price of £50 for it.

I paid £65 for my 450w which is now £55 @ebuyer.

Ebuyer aint got any other psus i want so i got refund

ive still not ruled out it could be my motherboard that was the problem, so when i get another psu and get same reading then theres the culprit

just received my HX520w and done a few tests. so much happier with this older version, 12v rail @12.2 full load compared to 12.613 @ full load with newer hx450w.

i feel the 2 450w psu's i received were indeed faulty and ebuyer techies said they were faulty but the 2 readings of these psu were exactly the same as each other which is beyond my comprehension.

anyway im so much happier now, i wanted a corsair psu and perservered and got one in the end

Hi everyone.

Sadly, I think I have the same problem...

For few months now I have been having constat freezing issues with my computer. I've sent it back to the store I bought it, and they said they tried everything, ran memtest, and everything was ok.

Even after that I had problems. Lately they are even worse.

So, today I opened a case (risking losing a warranty), cleaned it up a little, tried removing mem from slot 1 and 3 to 2 and 4. And also installed few monitoring programs. And what amazed me was the voltage at 12V, it is always between 12.619 and 12.740

So, have I found the cause of my problems?

• Corsair Employee

No problem at all, we do have a RMA facility in EU.

It shouldn't cause any damages to your system as it is barely over 5%, but we would still recommend you to get it replaced. 450w should be the minimum for your setup.

Archived