Corsair Community

Not detecting all 12 GB of ram

capo999

I have just recently built a new rig and i came across a few problems. When I first had everything hooked up and I booted up my rig (Using the motherboard CMOS and power button) but the screen stayed blank. Then after taking all but 1 ram stick out it loaded up fine (figured maybe bios wasnt updated to support all 12 gb) either way I followed through installing vista ultimate and everything worked fine. Only problem is that now with all 12gb of ram in my comp if i right click my computer and go to properties it says i only have 6gb of ram, which means its not detecting all of it.

Im assuming there is prolly something wrong with the cmos/bios settings but i dont have any idea what to do (all cmos/biod settings are default)

If you guys can help id appreciate your effort.

Thank you for your time,

Capo

Turned on XMP and updated to service pack 2 (and is completely updated) but as i log it it still shows that i have 6gb.

Just a curious question do i have to put them in my motherboard a certain way even though im using all 6 slots?

My boot screen says 4gb =/ which doesnt make sense. Another note i have a program from evga calledn evga E-Leet which is used to tweak certain compenants and that says i have 6gb and in dual channel. So im really confused why im getting all these different types of readings

• Corsair Employees
Do you have the latest BIOS for the MB and please test the modules 3 at a time and lets make sure there is not a failing module, if they all work reinstall them and then go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and enable XMP and set the QPI Voltage to +.1 or +.2 Volts over what it is set to. Then please let it boot to a disk from http://www.memtest.org and see how much memory is shown and check the BIOS main page as well to see if it is seeing all of the memory.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry i have been gone for the past week, ive been very busy and finally had some free time to work on this. I took all my ram sticks out and placed one set of 3 sticks into the motherboard ports 1 3 5 as the manual states. After start up my computer reads 4gb. I shutdown and place the other 3 in and it also reads 4 gb is it possible that i may have faulty ram ports on my MB. Btw is there any way to check which version of my bios i have because i tried booting up the most recent version but its confusing and i couldn't seem to get it to work. Any help is very much appreciated.

Sry for double posting but i did some more conclusive experimentation, i tried 1 module at a time in my first dimm port and the rip never booted, could this be conclusive evidene that its a faulty dimm port or is their any better way of testing this?

Once again sry for the excessive posting but i finally got the memtest86 v2.11 to work. I will post all information that was on the screen just for informational purposes.

Memtest 86+ v2.11

Intelcore i7 2919mHZ

L1 Cache: 32k 972931 Mb/s

L2 Cache: 256k 38405 Mb/s

L3 Cache: 8192k 28615 Mb/s

Memory: 4087m 6787 Mb/s

Chipset: NHM IMC (ECC: Disabled) / FSB: 132 Mhz / QPI 4.7 GT/s

Settings: RAM: 530 MHz (DDR3-1061) / Cas: 8-8-8-19 / Dual Channel

Cached RsvdMem Mempap Cache ECC Test Pass Errors EccErrs

4087m 284m e820-std on off std 1 0 0

Few weird results. It says its dual channel which is prolly because of the few failed dimm ports and because it can only read soo many it reads it as dual channel? unless you have to tell it its tri channel some where. But based on previous results of trying to install 1 stick at a time. It wouldnt work. I tried every stick and it wouldnt boot, pointing towards my #1 dimm port to be faulty thus my comp only starts up when i put in 1 entire set of three. Is there anything else i need to take into factor before i call up evga to get a replacement motherboard?

Last but not least i updated my bios to the latest version and still nothing changes. My computer still reads it as dual channel ram and a mixture of between 4 to 6 gbs im pretty sure i have a couple failed dimms and maybe a failed module, only problem is that because my first dimm port is faulty i am unable to check my ram sticks one at a time. So i guess ill RMA the motherboard and then ill be able to test the modules. Prolly will take like a month to get all of that done. GG

Archived