Corsair Community

Random BSOD and strange memory check errors

Hi,

I bought my current configuration 3 months ago and everything was really fine until 2 weeks ago.

I woke up one day and saw a BSOD on my computer with a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT cause. So I rebooted and then Windows hung up on another BSOD at startup logo with a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA cause.

I switched off the PC and waited for 1-2mn. Then Windows loaded successfully and I thought it was okay.

After 1 or 2 days on, I got another BSOD related to ntfs.sys (I don't remember the cause). So this time I rebooted the PC and ran memtest86+ 2.11. It immediately found 1 error at approx. 128MB. I removed one module and full tested again: no error. With the other one alone: no error either.

Following some advices I found on the Internet, I tweaked manually some settings in the BIOS :

- Timings to 5-5-5-15 (auto was 5-5-5-18)

- RAM voltage to 2.10 (auto was 1.80)

- USB Legacy off

I additionally stopped using Asus EP6 on Windows (was previously set to "auto") and updated the BIOS to version 1005.

I did a new complete check with memtest86+ and it found no error. Fine! I thought.

I left the PC on during 3 days (idle, small tasks, huge load on GTA IV) and then again: BSOD (but after being idle during 6-7 hours). Another check with memtest86+: no error with both modules. But this time I thought it could be because of a program that was eating up all my RAM slowly. I deactivated it and let the PC on again.

Three days later: BSOD, this time because of atapi.sys. I rebooted immediately after and ran memtest86+: 2 errors on 2 different places, one at approx. 128MB (like the other time) and another new one at approx. 700MB.

I wanted to know which module was causing the problem, so I removed one and performed the test again: no error. The other one: no error. On different slots: no error.

And I'm still there. Trying to find what is the exact cause of this problem, RAM or not, settings or something else.

Would it be possible that one of my modules is broken so that most of the time it works and write correctly data on its memory, and suddenly (and randomly) it stops working on some particular areas, so that this part is not writable anymore until I entirely switch off the PC and then start it again?

Thanks in advance RAMGuy :)

• Corsair Employee
Would it be possible that one of my modules is broken so that most of the time it works and write correctly data on its memory, and suddenly (and randomly) it stops working on some particular areas, so that this part is not writable anymore until I entirely switch off the PC and then start it again

It would be highly unlikely, memory will normally either work or it will not.

With the type of errors you are reporting I would suspect there may be some type of Voltage or thermal issue looming around the corner.

I would try and move the modules to the other two slots and load setup defaults and then set the modules tested settings and see if the system is still stable with http://www.memtest.org.

I let my PC on running memtest this night and the result is still that weird.

I had no error at the beginning until pass 9 (so basically 8-9 hours later, which is close to the delay I already had on Windows before having a BSOD). And then errors started to appear. Same adresses as last time, plus some others.

My case has been open since 2 weeks ago so there's no problem with the temperature. Plus this night has not been that hot in the room.

I'm really thinking more and more of a problem with those modules. But I agree, this is not a classical situation.

I'm going to move the modules to other slots and run the test again all day. Tonight I'll know if it happened again or not (in 8-9 hours).

Thanks

--UPDATE

It seems this result is not that weird finally. Only a very broken RAM module immediately shows errors in memtest86. They advise to run it overnight (which I did) to be sure modules are correct for a long term usage. I'm at work now, so I'll check the final result when I'll be back home in some hours. (anyway, you should be sleeping now ^^)

After 10 hours running memtest with both modules on different slots than originally, I still have NO error.

Is it just a coincidence or is one of my memory slots really broken? Dunno.

I'll do a final check next night with both modules back to their original slots and see what happens.

Okay, this was quick to check.

I stopped memtest and rebooted under Windows, played some GTA IV (hey, coming back from work, I need to have some fun ^^): no problem.

Editing a powerpoint file while listening to some music and browsing the web: no problem........ until the PC freezed entirely.

Directly to memtest: here are the errors again. Same adresses as before plus some others (that point is *really* strange). I've been running it for 10mn now and I have 20 lines of errors displayed.

Your conclusion?

Ok, thanks for your help!

Browsing the forum I see that some other people experience problems with P5Q motherboards from Asus and similar memory modules.

May I be afraid of having the same issue with brand new modules after replacement?

Is it possible to have certified modules for this MB instead of the same type? I can pay the difference if it's for a better stability. (not sure it is easy to do)

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but these modules would be suggested for that MB and as far as certified I am not sure what you mean???. However, we cannot change the part number only replace for the same part you send in. But if you have the same problem with the new modules I would get the MB checked.

I am sorry but these modules would be suggested for that MB and as far as certified I am not sure what you mean???. However, we cannot change the part number only replace for the same part you send in. But if you have the same problem with the new modules I would get the MB checked.

That was my interrogation. Thanks for your help and sorry for my English :)

--UPDATE

I've requested a RMA and I'm waiting for a response.

In the meantime (and as it's impossible for me to wait 3 weeks or more for a replacement) I've bought a pair of Kingmax DDR2 8500 2x1GB. I'll soon know whether it's the memory module or my MB which is in cause.

Some update on my issue. I've installed my replacement memory yesterday and I've run a quick memtest to check before starting Windows: no error (phew!).

I've been using Windows all evening long, playing, watching movies, surfing the web... no problem so far. I've also run memtest all night long (approx. 8h) and no error has been reported.

So finally I think those Corsair modules were really broken, but the problem only appeared 3 months after I start using them.

Thanks for your help RAM GUY. I've received my RMA and I'm ready to ship them back for warranty. I cannot hide that I'm a bit disappointed by Corsair. I used to buy ******** modules in the past and I've never had problems with them. But I assume this is just a coincidence, perfection's impossible.

--EDIT

Something strange I've immediately noticed at first boot is that the auto setting set the frequency to 533MHz (1066) which is the highest supported by the modules. BUT I remember that my Corsair modules were set to 400 (800) by default (even if they are said to support 533/1066). Why?

For max compatibility. Some systems don't like booting at default with specs higher than JEDEC specs, so the default setting is at JEDEC spec. That way you can then easily get into the BIOS and set the proper settings. Most memory manufacturers do it.

For max compatibility. Some systems don't like booting at default with specs higher than JEDEC specs, so the default setting is at JEDEC spec. That way you can then easily get into the BIOS and set the proper settings. Most memory manufacturers do it.

Okay, so it would all be about JEDEC standard. I get it. Thanks.

I'll post a message when I'll receive the replacement modules (just to indicate the delay for my location, and of course if it works or not).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, don't mean to hijack your thread but I'm experiencing very similar problems. (BSOD's/kernel panics after a few hours running) Like you I RMA'd the RAM and thought everything was fixed as I received no errors for ~a month after installing the replacement sticks. However, yesterday the same problem as before started to occur. It seems to me like we might have the same problem since what you described is almost exactly what I've experienced. Seeing as the replacement RAM is once again receiving errors, I'm assuming its a motherboard problem.

Edit

I should add that, like you, I used a different set of sticks (4x512MB@667mhz iirc) for a week while waiting for the replacements to ship. I also had zero problems from the alternate set during the week that I used them

Hey, don't mean to hijack your thread but I'm experiencing very similar problems. (BSOD's/kernel panics after a few hours running) Like you I RMA'd the RAM and thought everything was fixed as I received no errors for ~a month after installing the replacement sticks. However, yesterday the same problem as before started to occur. It seems to me like we might have the same problem since what you described is almost exactly what I've experienced. Seeing as the replacement RAM is once again receiving errors, I'm assuming its a motherboard problem.

Edit

I should add that, like you, I used a different set of sticks (4x512MB@667mhz iirc) for a week while waiting for the replacements to ship. I also had zero problems from the alternate set during the week that I used them

Hi and thanks for your giving your personal feedback!

This is what I'm afraid of actually. I'm using my 2x1GB modules from "another trademark" and I experienced zero problem so far (two weeks now). Except that 2GB is really not enough for GTA IV :)

I shipped my broken RAM 2 days ago and will wait for return. If it works better, good. Otherwise I'll buy 2 additional sticks to complete the ones I already have.

I won't have my main computer for the next 4 weeks so I might only give my feedback in one month or even later. But I'll give it anyway.

Just a question about your "replacement sticks": are they from Corsair?

--EDIT

I noticed we have a completely different configuration (MoBo, CPU/chipset, video card, power supply, OS, ...). This makes me think more it's a RAM model problem or something like that.

Yeah, the replacement sticks were from Corsair (though the sticks I'd used in the while waiting for them to ship were another brand)

I don't know if you ever tried messing with the timings, but it seems that when I change the speed/voltage/timings of the RAM in the BIOS, the RAM will run fine for a few days (I've yet to confirm this though)

Hopefully you wont experience the same problems I have with the replacements, I just figured it might help to give you some advance warning =/

Let me know how things turn out, good luck.

Edit

Before I originally applied for an RMA, I noticed that I could not run the RAM at its rated timings, 5-5-5-15. The closest I could get was 5-5-6-16 (when I set the row precharge time to anything less than 6 I received massive errors in memtest) However, when the replacement sticks came from Corsair, I was able to run them at 5-5-5-15 for that first month but recently, after I played with the settings, I find I can no longer return the settings to 5-5-5-15 (once again, I can no longer set the row precharge time less than 6) Dunno if you've noticed similar problems but I haven't been able to figure out why I should no longer be able to use the rated timings.

• 1 month later...

Hi, it's me again for the feedback I promised.

I received my replacement sticks within 2 weeks, but I installed and tested them only 3 days ago. I did a quick check with memtest, and no errors were found.

I've been using my computer quite intensively since and I cannot detect any problem. Everything's stable again, and I'm really happy to have my 4GB back. I left the "auto" settings (800MHz), but kept 2.10V. I'll increase the frequency later if nothing bad happens.

Future will tell us if the problem was really with the previous sticks.

Thanks for your support and your help, thanks for the extremely efficient warranty service, but I'm still a bit disappointed by the manufacturer... :[pouts:

Archived