Corsair Community

2 x TX850s died.. but why?

madcow001

Hi, I'm an Asutralian customer. I am building a computer system for my brother, which is identical to my own: i7-920, Gigabyte X58 UD3R, Corsair Ram, MSI nvidia 285 OC version.

I used Ghost to image up his system, installed some extra Mobo utilities then went to update graphic drivers. While installing I got a blue screen due to MAss Controller error. Finally worked out power supply had died, causing disks to stop spinning. System would POST and even boot off a USB, but not off HDD. Had the PSU (TX850) replaced under new purchase warrranty from retailer.

Installed replacement, booted up. Where was I up to.. ahh installing nvidia drivers. Run them and system just dies. System won't even turn on.

Is there anyone out there experiencing anything similar? It seems suspicious I was installing the same driver! There are no 'shorts' in the system. It ran for nearly an hour the first time. I'm sure I can get the PSU replaced again, but I want to know what the problem is. Power Management something or other on vid card? *shrugs* Don't want to go Corsair again for fear I'll get the same problem. Having said that, my own, identical system has worked without a hitch from day one - bit wary of updating graphics drivers though!!! :bigeyes:

what drivers were you using? i have had many lockups over the years with WHQL drivers believe it or not, i found forceware drivers from guru3d.com to work fine. i usually go a few versions back but with the new CUDA drivers seem to work pretty good as well (as they are mandatory to do F@H GPU)

also if you get a chance, please put your specs in under user CP so we can try to be more specific if needed.

will it boot ok in safe or VGA mode?

Drivers were nvidia 200 series reference drivers for XP, 32-bit. These were downloaded about 3 weeks ago. Would love to give you exact release but dead PSUs are making that difficult :(

The 2nd PSU has seemingly died completely. I have tested it with minimal load and shorting the pins to start it. Not a peep :(

The 1 st PSU, would not power up the drives. It would POST and I could boot to Bart PE from a usb stick, but that was all.

Will add some details to my user profile at some stage, but this machine is not mine, so they would be kinda redundant in this case.

• Corsair Employees
If both PSUs are no longer functional then there has to be either a problem with the graphics card or the motherboard that is causing it. At this point, if you have the PSU hooked up and you hit the power button on your case what happens?

Nothing happens. Nothing spins, nothing starts. As mentioned, I tried the quick PSU test by shorting the pins to no avail.

In both cases, there has been no 'snap, crackle or pop', no smells, no blue smoke and no visible damage or scorching (looking through fan grill with torch). In the first case, the system must've been working for the best part of an hour. In the second instance, worked for probably 10mins.

I suspect you are right re mobo/graphics card. It's just hard to imagine how they kill the PSU so quickly - or what if any relevance installing the driver has. Maybe it tests the card in some way. I never got to try anything graphically intense before they died.

• Corsair Employees

I haven't seen any similar issues with the PSU failing consistently on a driver update. Since two PSUs have reacted similar ways, I would suspect that there is some other component that may be going out of spec and causing the PSU to fail. The most likely culprit would be the video card or possibly the motherboard.

To have the PSU replace by Corsair, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Just an update:

- Have had the graphics card tested in another system and it checked out A okay.

- I have now disassembled the system and have it running on a bench. It's using a cheap (OCZ) 600W PSU. There was nothing out of the ordinary when I took out the mobo. ie. no obvious shorts or extra mobo standoffs, etc. The only thing I'm wondering is whether the heatsing backplate (behind mobo) may be touching the chasis. Would/could this cause a short? It's the only thing I can think of atm. Else, I'm starting to suspect I have just been devillishly unlucky and got two bad units :(

Archived