Corsair Community

DDR3 1600mhz running at 667mhz?

trickeh

Hi,

I recently purchased an ASUS P5Q3 along with Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9400 2,66GHz and got the Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 3GB (TR3X3G1600C8D) to go with that.

Now, as i see it CPU-Z only reports the memory running at 668mhz? Is this due to some faulty settings/compability issues or is there something im missing? I havnt changed any settings in bios, they're set on auto.

Check attached files. I would appriciate fast reply so if there's a compability issue, i can return them and replace it with something recommended for my system setup. I tried the memory configurator but it just shows P5Q3 Deluxe, i have the standard version so i was uncurtain, but that version shows up recommending DDR3 @ 1333Mhz. Checking the specs for my mobo it claims to be able to handle 1600Mhz and it looked like it was compatible with my system... now im starting to wonder if thats really the case...

mem-1.JPG.7a3f04fc2ad69479436f855ce535836c.JPG

ir0qhx.jpg.d1dad09bb02dba33cef96183e9f8832a.jpg

your CPU is 1333FSB so is your RAM. (667x2 DDR)

everything is fine! you are 1:1

if you thought that you can run the RAM at 1600 you cannot without serious overclocking the CPU.

then you not only "void" the CPU's warrantee but you must think about the extra heat issues.

So im getting full support from my memory and they're working @ 1600mhz then? Im sorry, im not really a computer guru really but i wanted to check out the new specs so that i could ensure they where running properly.

If, wich would be a great releif - the mems run fine, could you please explain why its state 668mhz?

EDIT: im running 3x1GB, not 2X1GB. Oh okey, i thought the memory would be running at that speed by itself. I lured myself into buying more expensive ram then necessary then? :)

np, the CPU is 1333 speed and the RAM is 1333 speed.

the RAM wont run faster than the CPU, it can't.

to get the RAM to run at 1600 you must overclock the CPU to 1600.

having "overqualified" speed RAM is fine, usually more stable and runs cooler.

Archived