Corsair Community

New build - no sign of life

dusty2all

I have put this system together in painstaking fashion so I was hopeful that when I plugged it in and turned it on for the first time, something would happen. Nothing. No fans, no signal on the monitor (which was on and plugged into the same surge protector as the computer).

I realize that getting the front panel connections to work is a challenge that I may not have successfully completed. Still the fans should work, shouldn't they? There are three or four of them and they are all connected directly to the power supply (VX450), and it is new.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Is the power button connected correctly to the motherboard? Have you tried bypassing the button and jumped the PWR pins on the board manually?

As far as I can tell, the power button is connected correctly to the motherboard. I don't know how to bypass the button, though. Could you give me step by step instructions? I will cheerfully attempt it.

To see if the PSU is just not getting a signal from the board to turn on I would try this basic PSU test.

I read that but unplugging everything but the fans would be a major undertaking and I would like to try the bypass first. I am curious: shouldn't the fans be working even if there is no signal from the motherboard? They are plugged in to a totally separate cable.

BTW, it is AMAZING how quickly you folks respond to messages on this forum.

Nothing will work in the system unless the power button is activated, which in turn sends a signal to the PSU to power everything.

OK. Then I REALLY need to know how to bypass it because since nothing is working, I can't tell if anything is plugged in correctly. There are two ways to plug in the connector for the on / off button and I have tried both.

• Corsair Employees
Just bridge the 2 PWR pins on the board (the same two pins your power button is attached to) with the tip of a screwdriver, paperclip or anything else that is conductive. This should give the motherboard the signal to turn on the PSU.

Well, some good news.

I decided to double check my front panel connections before I did anything else. I found a diagram for how they should go in the manual, but had to find a magnifying glass to read it. I had the connections going vertical rather than horizontal.

I pulled them all out, then concentrated on getting the on / off plugged in. Once I did that, the on / off switch worked and I was able to turn on all the fans so I know that the problem is not with the power supply. It is unbelievably quiet, even with all three fans running.

The weird thing is that the CPU fan is working too, and it is plugged into the motherboard, so I know the MB is getting power but nothing comes up on the monitor. So I still have a problem, but at least there is progress.

If you have any ideas on what to do now, please let me know what they are. That may, however, be a topic for a forum elsewhere. My thanks to RAM guy and Wired. My experience here makes me very glad I bought a Corsair.

• Corsair Employees
Glad to hear its coming on. I would test each memory module one at a time and see if there is any difference. If they both give you the same results then you should be able to rule out a dead memory module. Also, just to be sure, do you have the 4/8-pin 12v connector connected to the motherboard along with the 24 pin?

I sent a message to the forum a day or so ago about the 4/8 pin and with a little information from Wired, I was able to get the 4 pin 12V connector to click in the way it is supposed to. The memory is fine.

After I sent my last message on this thread, I remembered that I had disconnected the monitor last night so I could put the new computer on the floor where a feline or two would not tip it over. Once I reconnected the monitor and restarted the system, everything posted the way it was supposed to. Got into the BIOS and everything. All is well.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Archived