Corsair Community

Computer loses power randomly

Agilekyle

I am lost on this one and desperately need help. My computer is exhibiting the following issues:

• Loses power completely at random times. This can happen during web surfing, gaming, or even when booting up.
  • Refuses to power on when the power button is pressed. Oddly, touching a finger to the twenty-four pin connector cable causes it to spring to life. I have verified this connector is seated properly.

When this first happened, I contacted Corsair and sent the power supply in for replacement. In the meantime, I tested two other power supplies for days with no problems.

I received a brand new 1000HX back from Corsair and installed it. Three hours later the computer loses power and the problems start all over again. I really have no idea what is going on here. After testing two other power supplies, with no problems, I would assume I have ruled out anything else.

So, any ideas as to why the 1000HX is not playing nice with my computer?

• Corsair Employees

There are a few possibilities:

1. Something is overheating, check your temps next time following a shutdown.

2. Possibly a memory problem, use http://www.memtest.org to make sure you are not getting any errors.

3. The motherboard or some other component is going out of spec and tripping the overcurrent/overvoltage protection circuits in the PSU. Try the PSU in a different system to see if you have the same problems.

4. There is a faulty component in the PSU.

I would go down the list and see if you can narrow down the possibilities. If it looks like there is a good chance that a replacement PSU will resolve the issues then, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived