Corsair Community

Asus P5Q-E & 2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5

Snakefood

Hi...hoping you guys can assist me...

I've got 2 kits of CM2x2048-8500C5 (4 x 2GB total) and am having some problems.

My pc seems to be pretty unstable, it boots and runs fine, but I have issues installing games, or trying to extract (winrar) large files. I get errors stating files are currupt, but if i extract these same files on another pc, they extract fine.

I was running vista x64, but installed XP x64 last night thinking it might be driver issues. Is there any known issues with this board and my ram?

When I run cpu-z it shows my ram as running @ 800MHz, what settings in my BIOS should I set to try and run it @ 1066, if this os going to be possible.

Many thanks if anyone could assist. :)

What voltage are you running the memory at?

Note that since the 2 pairs aren't packaged together, there's no guarantee you can run them together, let alone at full speed. Most memory controllers don't like running all memory slots full and at full speed.

Cool, will do some tweaking &testing.

Is there any decent app out that can test 8GB of ram for stability?

Edit: I've been running memtest (windows version) and testing the memory, 1 kit at a time.

On both kits I get errors, and the fact that I always get the same amount of errors (16) is making me think maybe this ram is not fully compatible with this board?

Am I missing anything here?

Update:

I have contacted the suppliers where I bought this memory from, and they are currently saying that will not accept it back if it is not defective.

Could you please let me know of a board that this memory is certified to run @ 1066 in?

Ta

Other than setting the voltage to 2.1V, all other settings are set to auto.

I've not turned off Legacy USB, didn't think that would make any difference.

I will try and post back if I still get errors

Edit: I set Legacy USB to disabled, I still get errors.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

And if they all pass one up

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

OK, I will get these settings done and run a memtest on them.

I did run quick tech past two of the sticks, and they both passed. Will get hold of dos based memtest and test all sticks, tbh I think they'll pass tho, as the passed quicktech.

Will post back with test results tomorrow eve, uk time :)

Update: Yes, I am running latest BIOS.

I went into BIOS and set all my timings manually, and tested 2 sticks individually using memtest booting from a usb stick.

Both sticks passed individually, but testing the kit was an epic fail.

FYI, I am no longer trying to get 4 sticks working, just two. But no luck.

The ram supplier has said point blank no, they will not accept the ram back as it is not faulty, so I'm prob going to have to take a major loss and sell it online. :(

Am I right now in my assumtion that this memory is purely imcompatible?

Today was last day for return of my CPU/MB, so I'm also going to retutn them, and start out with a new kit, go for ddr3.

• Corsair Employees
No that would suggest some other problem as these modules are indeed compatible with that MB and if they both pass one at a time but fail when in D/C that would suggest a problem with the MB and I would get it replaced.

OK, well I'm in process of returning the board within DOA period anyway, I wil point out this possible defect to them for testing to prevent asus reselling a dudd.

I have a second PC running on a Abit ip35 pro, is this memory compatible in this board? If so, I will carry ot some testing in this board, see if it can run it in pairs?

thanks for all the help so far :)

Hi..

I tried to run all four first @ 800MHz, thought it was going to bo OK, I left it running memtest in windows (4 windows to test all ram) overnight, but this morning I had 1 error. This board's biod doesn't allow me to directly set the ddr frequency, instead I have to set as by a ration to the cpu, so currently running @ 340, instead of 333 (1:1).

Should I lower my cpu's fsb to set the ram @ 333, or leave it as is?

Do I still need to use 2.1V?

• Corsair Employees

NB/MCH/SPP are the same thing just with different chipsets it will be called something different.

With some Chipsets mostly early Intel it will just be NB for north Bridge some of the later Intel chipsets will call it MCH for Memory Controller Hub and some Nvidia chipsets will call the memory controller the System Platform Processor SPP.

Got it, spot on, mine was MCH.

Have upped it from 1.25 -> 1.44. I also lowered my FSB from 340 to 333, so that my ram runs @ 800, instead of the slightly higher figure.

Will set 4 instances of memtest going when I goto bed this eve, see what happens overnight, unless is there a 64-bit memory test that I can use to test 8GB with one process?

Archived