Corsair Community

PSU Overvolting Mobo??

Throttle Jock

Hello. I've had three hard drive failures in a month after installing my 850TX PSU. Is it possible that the power supply is overvolting the motherboard and causing these failures? Bad controller on motherboard? Or maybe I am overloading the power supply itself causing drives to fail? I find it hard to believe that three hard drives, one of which was just recently RMA'd to me and brand spanking new, could fail right away like this. My luck is bad but not that bad!

So ramguy what would be your opinion? I have to assume it's one of these two compnents. Before I RMA one or both of them I want to get some feedback. My system is in my profile and I have had the system overclocked to 3.83 Ghz. I get the following message when trying to boot the system now. 0xc000000c and some text about hardware failure. Googling this message has steered me to these two possible issues. Any help would be appreciated, I'm at my wits end here.

Thanks for the reply Wired. I actually used Antec's PSU calculator when I planned my system and if you dial my specs into that, 850 watts is more than enough. But perhaps you're right, maybe I cheaped out a bit on the PSU, although I never had any symptoms of inefficient power in my system. Any more opinions anyone? Thanks

Are the drives all on the same cable when they fail or are they failing across multiple SATA power cables?

Thanks for the reply ram guy! They are failing across multiple sata cables. Two were boot drives storing the OS and one was strictly storage.

• Corsair Employees

I would not suspect that overloading the PSU would kill the hard drives, and the only other possibility would be either a problem with the motherboard or PSU. At this point I would suggest that we get the PSU replaced, just to be on the safe side and if the problems continue you may want to contact the motherboard manufacturer to see if they can help you rule out the board as a possible problem.

To have the PSU replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived