Corsair Community

HX520 & GTX 280 woes

satnam99

Hi all. Recently purchased a BFG GTX 280 OC but having some problems with it. Basically I am getting the red light on the card and cannot figure out why. I am under the impression that this is down to not enough power going to the card. Having previously looked around a bit, a few people are running a GTX 280 perfectly fine on the same power supply as me (Corsair HX520 even though it is slightly below the recommended wattage by BFG). None of my components are overclocked and the only things not mentioned in my system setup are a couple of dvd drives.

The card itself requires both a 6 pin PCI-E connection and an 8 pin one. As some of you may know, my PSU does not have an 8 pin PCI-E connection, so I have been using the adaptor provided with the graphics card. This takes 2 regular 6 pin PCI-E connections and makes the 8 pin connection required by the card. Of course as the HX520 only has 2 6 pin PCI-E connectors, I am having to use a molex to 6 pin PCI-E adaptor. Is this the correct way to connect the card?

I have tried a different molex adaptor, messing around with the molex's to make sure they are actually connected to each other, unplugging all unnecessary components (including running off just 1 stick of ram) and removing the card and all connections and starting again (a few times) to no avail. The only cable i have not swapped out is the 6 to 8 pin adaptor.

I don't know if it is worth mentioning or it is just normal behaviour in these circumstances, but the card does spin up for a few seconds and has a green light, but then powers down and the red light appears. However, I do not get to the Post screen and my monitor does not receive any signal. I have put my old card back in and that still works, so the system is still functioning okay as far as i can see. Any ideas?

• Corsair Employees
If you have a missing or damaged part for one of our products or are missing a cable for your PSU, lost the Cap for your Flash Voyager drive, or have a damaged or failing fan on one of our H series coolers for example: Please go to Submit a RMA request and fill out the on line form.

If you have a missing or damaged part for one of our products or are missing a cable for your PSU, lost the Cap for your Flash Voyager drive, or have a damaged or failing fan on one of our H series coolers for example: Please go to Submit a RMA request and fill out the on line form.

Hi Ram Guy

I sent some emails out on sunday night to you guys at Corsair. I have received an email response about this from ramguy@corsairmemory.com, is that the same as the address above?

As for another system, the only other person I know that lives close enough does not have enough room in his case for this particular card! Just my luck!

Archived