Corsair Community

Corsair TX650W problems

Owly

Hi there I was wondering if anyone could help me out this. I recently just built a brand new computer (see my specs) and it worked fine for the first 1-2 days but now.

When I boot my pc it will load up fine for a while and then randomly my computer starts emitting a whining noise, some clicking noises and then instantly restarts and does POST all over again.

I opened up my case and turned on the computer to see where this noise was coming from and when it happens it seems to emanate from my PSU. So I tested my components to see if any of them was causing this and it all works fine until I install the GPU. When the GPU is installed it seems to put too much of a load on the PSU? I read around the forums and I tried doing what it suggested here on this thread:

Hello,

First of all, sorry for my english I'm french.

A buzzing electrical noise (not a fan noise) was comming from my power supply.(new PC : I7 920, DDR3, HD4870, Gigabyte X58-UD5,.. Corsair TX650).

I've made some test with another new power supply(not a corsair one) and the noise was still there .. so I've started to search why...

It seems that the problem was comming from the 'powersaving' systems use by Intel processors. Something seems to be wrong when they are activated in the bios ( a kind of incompatibility between MB-CPU-Graphic-Power working together).

Before the RMA procedure I suggest you to try to set the 2 parameters :

C1E and EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) to disable in the MB BIOS.

It seems this solution is working fine specially for new PC (Core 2 duo or better).

Hope it will help some of people reporting buzzing noise to avoid unnecessary RMA. :roll:

My TX650 works fine and I'm happy of it.

Regards.

TBW

But alas no improvement

If anyone could explain to me what is going on and if need to get a new PSU that would be great thanks :sigh!:.

EDIT: Doesn't matter now just noticed the Tech Support Express going to use that instead.

• Corsair Employees

It's unlikely that the PSU is causing the problem due to lack of power. Here are a few possibilities:

1. Something is overheating, check your temps next time following a shutdown.

2. Possibly a memory problem, use http://www.memtest.org to make sure you are not getting any errors.

3. The motherboard or some other component is going out of spec and tripping the overcurrent/overvoltage protection circuits in the PSU. Try the PSU in a different system to see if you have the same problems.

4. There is a faulty component in the PSU.

I would go down the list and see if you can narrow down the possibilities. If it looks like there is a good chance that a replacement PSU will resolve the issues then, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived