Corsair Community

ZOTAC 9300-ITX Support

jackmanfred

Hi,

Go easy it's my first post and i did a search of the site and it would appear no one has the same problem.

Basically the problem is that when i run the system with 4GB in it blue screens all of the time. If i run windows memory diagnostics in windows 7 it finds a issues.

When i boot the system with 2GB in it works fine but i want to use 4GB can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks in advance

J

good & bad news, i did exactly what you said and loaded the default bios settings, set memory voltage 1.9v & and tested each memory stick on it's own and no memtest86+ errors.

Then i tested the memory together and got loads of memtest86+ errors well over 1410000+ errors and counting.

So it looks like it doesn't like the dual stick configuration. What should i do next?

Regards

J

well the the abit ab9 pro i tested the memory in passed memtest86+ without error, so i've now sent an email to zotac and the place where i bought the motherboard stating that there seems to be a problem.

i'll let you know how i get on

thanks again

j

Another negative experience with the same board and same memory:

I also have the 2x2Gb TWIN2X4096-6400C5 memory in a Zotac GF9300-D-E ITX motherboard (Intel E5200, no overclocking, all settings to bios defaults). After upgrading to the latest 2K090422 bios, which implements the NVMM Advance Path function (the NVMM in the bios is 4.84.91A of 01/13/09) I started experiencing random program failures and BSODs under Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7RC 64bit, for example, Firefox 3.0.11 would close unexpectedly, one of the threads in prime95 would fail, Internet Explorer 8 would fail with a BSOD. However, the memory (with both modules installed) tests all right with memtest86+ v2.11 and the memory tester included in Windows 7RC.

To eliminate other potential pitfalls I borrowed another 2x2Gb set, a plain KVR800D2N5K2/4G, from a friend and ran it all day today without experiencing a single problem. So, the TWIN2X4096-6400C5 does not appear to work well with this board, despite the fact that Zotac have the rather similar CM2X1024-6400 on their "compatible memory list".

Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them!

Many thanks, have just done that. Is it possible to have as a replacement a different type of 2x2Gb DDR2 800 memory which is deemed to be compatible with my board? The reason for asking is that the current TWIN2X4096-6400C5 tests all right and still works unreliably under two different version of windows. I looked at your "Memory Finder" and it does not list the GF9300-D-E, so any choice could be a bit of hit and miss, and I am afraid that I will need to to waste another day testing a third set of memory modules.

I am sorry but there is no other part that we could give or suggest. I would suggest getting another brand of MB.

Thanks for this answer and advice. While your "Memory Finder" does not list the Zotac GF9300-D-E, it has the Zotac NF630I-D-E, for which Zotac cites the same memory specifications as for the GF9300-D-E, and the list contains 24 different "Guaranteed-Compatible" Corsair memory modules. I am sure that once you decide to include the GF9300-D-E in the list, say in a month or two, you will be listing exactly the same memory modules. Anyway, I understand that you are under no obligation to do anything beyond the warranty terms. I am not going to buy another MB, just as I would not buy a new car just because my current one skids in the wet on a set of new tyres, and I am unlikely to buy Corsair memory again.

TWIN2X4096-6400C5 is the most basic XMS memory you can get, so I'd recommend taking RG up on his offer to replace them. You'll get the same model, but at least you'll know if it's the memory or not.

Thanks, but as I mentioned earlier in http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=405285&postcount=12, I ran the system for a day with another 2x2Gb set, a KVR800D2N5K2/4G, and did not experience a single problem. So, it must be the memory. Also, before the bios that activated the NVidia Advance Path function, the TWIN2X4096-6400C5 was completely all right. In my mind, this is a clear indication of some incompatibility either with the NVidia Advance Path function, or with some other feature of the most recent NVidia Memory Manager. I am not prepared to go through the RMA hassle just in order to get a second TWIN2X4096-6400C5 set that, in view of the circumstances, has a 99% chance of behaving exactly like the first one.

• Corsair Employee
I do understand but the MB in this case is not like a car, and if a setting in the BIOS caused this then for sure it is not the memory. But I do understand your position, maybe a friend can help you test the memory on another MB to be sure one is not failing.

I do understand but the MB in this case is not like a car, and if a setting in the BIOS caused this then for sure it is not the memory. But I do understand your position, maybe a friend can help you test the memory on another MB to be sure one is not failing.

As I explained earlier, it was not just a setting in the BIOS, but a new BIOS revision which activated the NVidia Advance Path function. On my system, the NVidia Advance Path function reduces memory latency from 113 ns to 82 ns, which explains why I would like to have it activated. Even with the updated BIOS, the TWIN2X4096-6400C5 would pass any number of memtest86+ v2.11 cycles without exhibiting any errors. However, when running Windows (both XP 32bit and 7RC 64bit), there are random program terminations and BSODs. An intensive system-stressing program, IntelBurnTest v2.2, fails each and every time to complete a 5-run maximum stress test (no temperature issues, the system passes the same test with the KVR800D2N5K2/4G I had borrowed).

I expect that my TWIN2X4096-6400C5 will work fine on an Intel motherboard, but would be likely to fail on an nForce/GeForce motherboard with a recent BIOS that implements the NVidia Advance Path function. In fact, there is a recent thread on the Zotac Technical Support forum http://www.zotacusa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1474#, in which another user was experiencing system instabilities in Windows XP 32bit and 7RC 64bit with a Zotac IONITX-A-E motherboard equipped with TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX, which disappeared altogether when he swapped the memory with another brand.

• Corsair Employee
The brand of memory will have nothing to do with that issue, the memory IC that is used may have something to do with this, but bottom line if they changed something in the BIOS and it starts to have problems after the update then the MB maker will have to address the problem it is not a failing memory module and we work directly with Nvidia and they have no information about this on their site at this time; is about all I can tell you. I have never heard of this MB maker and in fact have never seen their MB. But if you can find other memory that will work in that MB then by all means go for it.

I have never heard of this MB maker and in fact have never seen their MB.

This is a bit rich, you have six Zotac MBs on your memory configurator. Well, even before reading this I had realized that for me the Corsair memory had been 40 UK pounds down the drain.

• Corsair Employee

The memory configurator will list modules based on the chipset that is used.

And we test all of our modules on a MB before they leave our factory, so like I said if the memory was working and after you updated the BIOS it no longer works would suggest there is an issue with the new BIOS and you would need to talk to the respective MB maker, 1-877-59-ZOTAC (1-877-599-6822) or http://www.zotacusa.com/forum

Hi. Exactly the same problem here.

Same motherboard + same RAM = no POST with two sticks.

Single sticks individually work fine.

No problems with same memory in another motherboard. No problems with different memory in this motherboard.

Looks like RAM/MB incompatibility.

Archived