Corsair Community

Any information on the new 128GB SSD (CMFSSD-128GBG2D)?

ZBoater

There seems to be a new 128GB SSD model (CMFSSD-128GBG2D). Notice the 2D at the end instead of 1D. The advertised speed on Newegg is 220MB/s read and 200MB/s write, which is a significant increase from the first model (90MB/s read and 70MB/s write) for only $50 more.

Question - the product is not even listed on the Corsair site and a Google search just shows some vague references to a Gen2 product (and in a foreign language site at that). Is this a new product? Does anyone have any information regarding the innards (controller, chips, etc.)?

Thanks!

It will be posted shortly the Read will be 220 MBps and Write of 200 MBps.

Wow, thanks. For a moment there I thought I was buying a fake one. :eek: I mean, 50% more capacity, almost as fast read and faster write than an Intel X-25 for about the same price? You would think this drive would be on every reviewers site our there!!! Is it that new?

I am looking forward to upgrading my HP 2133 mini netbook with this...

I ordered mine from Newegg and it says it shipped! :D: Really, really looking forward to it!

While on the subject:

Any recommendations for benchmarking software?

Also, I intend to restore a system image using Acronis True Image (kinda like Norton Ghost). My plan was to boot off a USB key I have that also has Acronis Disk Director, use it to create a single partition NTFS, then go into True Image and restore the image. Any issues or concerns with this approach? Do I need to format the drive first? My understaning is that for all intents and purposes, the system will treat this as a regular drive. Forgive the noobness but SSDs are new to me.

Thanks!

when you restore the image it will wipe the drive any way (and the NTFS partition you just made)

it can be 50/50 if the partition is setup correctly if it does not the system may be an little slow when saveing

Ok, I got the drive in the mail from Newegg today. It came in a small padded envelope. At first I thought - what is that? When I realized it was the drive I said to myself "why on earth would they send a drive in an envelope?". Then I remembered it was a SSD. :roll:

The thing is light as a feather. CMFSSD-128GBG2D. Yup, 2D. STILL not on the Corsair site, so I am glad I was not imagining it. It is so light it feels like it is empty inside. Freaky.

I was going to put it in my HP 2133 Netbook, but I then decided to try it out on my work Lenovo Thinkpad X61s. Since I use that laptop 10 hours a day, I figured I would get more bang for the buck.

Attached is a screenshot of a CrytalMark disk tesk on the Hitachi drive I am replacing. I also timed my Windows XP Pro SP3 bootup - 45 seconds from power button to the finger reader prompt (login), and another full minute until all my system tray icons appeared. Par for the course, this thing has never been a speed demon.

I booted off a USB key I made with Acronis True Image, made an image of the entire disk (C: partition and the service partition too) onto an external USB WD Passport drive. That took a couple of hours... :sigh!:

Replacing the Hitachi drive was a snap. The Thinkpads are really well made. A screw here, a couple of rails there, put the thing back in, voila. Cake.

I booted off the USB key again, this time choosing the restore option. Chose the whole drive (including partition and MBR), and hit restore. That took a while. Went to Best Buy to buy a new cordless phone while I waited. Came back and it was done.

I rebooted. It booted into Windows XP with no issues. Seemed a bit faster but I didn't time it that first time. Honestly I was expecting an error message. It's the pessimist in me... :roll:

Ran CrystalDiskMark again. Attached is the screenshot. One word. WOW. :bigeyes:

Its not the 200MB/s advertised, but I am guessing my controller and laptop may have something to do here. I rebooted to measure time to boot. This time it took 30 seconds to login and another 30 seconds for my system tray icons to show up. So 1 minute vs. 1:45 before. Not bad at all!!!

I ran CrytalDiskInfo and it was a bit confused. It correctly recognized the drive brand and model, but could not read the temp and a lot of the IDs were "unknown".

Since this is my work laptop I will have a chance to beat up on it good tomorrow. However, so far so good. Installation was painless, and the drive behaved exactly as a hard drive is supposed to - no weirdness, no problems - just really fast performance. Will be back later to report. However, preliminary reports are two thumbs UP!!! :D:

hitachicrystal.JPG.7ddc8438e46ab819240da78932292a28.JPG

corsaircrystal.JPG.c2e3ac725cadd17ee757b300b0c2a93d.JPG

When you have the drive as a boot drive the bench mark will be less because of the way Windows uses the HDD. But you should notice it be more snappy.

Oh yeah, snappy indeed. A day at the office was a lot nicer today. I noticed it the most when I needed to look for an old email. I keep my PST files under 2GB, and when I have to look for an email I usually search the whole thing by keyword. Today the searches were a SNAP!!! Everything else seemed quicker - launching new apps, opening files, etc. Windows does a pretty good job IMHO in caching, but now things that were disk intensive are so much faster now.

I may even reinstall Windows Desktop Search after this!!! :eek:

Great product! I like it. :D:

May I ask does this Corsair SSD need to run 'cleaning tools' once a while? like other brand? I think is call wiper.exe

Or it got the auto-clean function already?

I'm not sure it is something call 'TRIM'?

Will the auto-clean works on XP and Vista as well?

Thanks and sorry for my dum question :[pouts:

I have done some reading about various problems with various drives, but there is too much information to keep track of. Can you point me to a summary of problems that SSD drives have that I should look for. More importantly, does this drive have all of those problems fixed?

I realize that may be a lot to ask for, but I'm sure there are lots of other users who could really benefit from the information. Among those are people who don't really understand technical subjects and/or don't want to do hours of research. They just want an overview, like what I am asking for.

I have only read about SSD so this would be my first experiment with them. My plan is to replace a very fast 10K RPM SATA II drive with this one. It is my C: drive. Data is stored on other drives so this one is mostly for Windows XP Pro, running programs, and temporary data storage.

The reason I want to do this is because the machine is often I/O bound, meaning that too often the CPU usage is very low, the hard drive light is on solid, and the machine stops responding until the hard drive use is finished. Obviously, I am waiting on the hard drive, sometimes for minutes. Would this drive be a significant improvement for that problem? How much increase in speed should I see when running those kinds of tasks?

A few specific questions:

This seems to be a "next generation" drive, compared to the D1 and many of your other drives. Is that correct. Am I correct that the Samsung controller is supposed to be significantly better than the one you use in your entry level 64GB SSD?

The read and write spec for this drive seem to be a lot faster than the D1 model. Is the same benchmark technique used so that this means the drive really is twice as fast?

What controller do I need to get good speed? You said something about all the nVidia controllers limit the speed. Is this limitation really important or is it more theoretical than practical?

Any other things we need to look out for?

• Corsair Employees

dmcomputerguy

I am sorry there is not really anything like you are asking for but the F. A. Q. would be where I would start. However, I don't think there is anything to worry about and once you start using the SSD you will say to your self "WOW" our drives do not have most of the limitations/Bugs that some of the other drives on the market have displayed and if you will be using Windows 7 when its released most if not all of the issues will be no more. Most of the issues are due to the O.S. not being optimized for SSD's.

I am using one of our 64 Gig drives mostly just to see how it runs at first and it even though its a bit slower is still fast than a spinal HDD using a S-SATA1 controller on an older 939 AMD based system. Boot to Windows in like 9-11 seconds with Windows XP.

May I ask does this Corsair SSD need to run 'cleaning tools' once a while? like other brand? I think is call wiper.exe

Or it got the auto-clean function already?

I'm not sure it is something call 'TRIM'?

Will the auto-clean works on XP and Vista as well?

Thanks and sorry for my dum question :[pouts:

Not a dumb question I am also looking for an answer to this.

this website(bit-tech) states

To combat this problem some drive controller manufacturers have started releasing manual TRIM applications which can be used at intervals to carry out the TRIM command en-masse, and hopefully going a long way to restoring original performance. As of yet only SSDs based on Indilinx’s drive controller offer such functionality, but we’re hopeful Corsair and Samsung will follow suit. While their drive does not currently support the TRIM command, Corsair and Samung told us they are "actively working on a solution and hope to give a more detailed update to our users early this summer as to update availability." For now though, you’re limited to low level erasing the drive with an application like HDD Erase to solve cell fragmentation.

I need information on this if it is available, if there is something coming soon, corsair it is, otherwise, it's ******** for me. Also if I get banned for mentioning ********, then i'll make sure to let corsair know they lost business because of it.

I just got mine, and we stuck in in an eSATA external "quick" plugin enclosure.

After doing a quick format we tried some basic tests, but the machine just siezed up and froze for 20-30 seconds when we tried to write the drive, then it would finally finish.

I'm going to try it again from an internal sata connection, I hope the test we did wasn't a fluke.

NP Please do let us know what happens.

Something is wrong with the performance I am getting. Why is it reporting UDMA 5?

HD Tune Pro: CORSAIR CMFSSD-128GB Random Access

Read test

Transfer size       operations / sec    avg. access time    avg. speed
512 bytes           305 IOPS            3.3 ms              0.149 MB/s
4 KB                303 IOPS            3.3 ms              1.187 MB/s
64 KB               85 IOPS             11 ms               5.340 MB/s
1 MB                17 IOPS             57 ms               17.539 MB/s
Random              28 IOPS             34 ms               14.459 MB/s

HD Tune Pro: CORSAIR CMFSSD-128GB Information

Firmware version : VBM1801Q
Serial number    : 09230492-8965885
Capacity         : 119.2 GB (~128.0 GB)
Buffer size      : n/a
Standard         : ATA/ATAPI-0 - SATA II
Supported mode   : UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100)
Current mode     : UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100)

S.M.A.R.T                    : yes
48-bit Address               : yes
Read Look-Ahead              : yes
Write Cache                  : yes
Host Protected Area          : yes
Device Configuration Overlay : yes
Firmware Upgradable          : yes
Automatic Acoustic Management: yes
Power Management             : yes
Advanced Power Management    : no
Interface Power Management   : yes
Power-up in Standby          : no
Security Mode                : yes
Native Command Queuing (NCQ) : yes

Volume        : SSD_E (E:)
Capacity      : 122101 MB
Free          : 122008 MB
Usage         : 0%
File system   : NTFS
Serial        : D8F8-ADC3

As a reference, heres my X25-E

HD Tune Pro: SSDSA2SH032G1GN INTE Random Access

Read test

512 bytes           10891 IOPS          0.09 ms             5.318 MB/s
4 KB                6159 IOPS           0.16 ms             24.059 MB/s
64 KB               2297 IOPS           0.44 ms             143.611 MB/s
1 MB                213 IOPS            4.7 ms              213.594 MB/s
Random              427 IOPS            2.3 ms              213.377 MB/s

HD Tune Pro: CORSAIR CMFSSD-128GB Random Access

Read test

512 bytes           9628 IOPS           0.10 ms             4.702 MB/s
4 KB                8396 IOPS           0.12 ms             32.799 MB/s
64 KB               2764 IOPS           0.36 ms             172.797 MB/s
1 MB                233 IOPS            4.3 ms              233.413 MB/s
Random              450 IOPS            2.2 ms              225.264 MB/s

I moved it to another SATA port, and reversed the cable orientation. Not sure which of the 2 fixed the problem.

Looks really sexy now

• Corsair Employees
NP sounds like on the other controllers may be limited or the cable has to be installed in one direction only. I have seen that with some MB's and Raid Cards but was not aware of that being an issue on MAC;s.

Archived