Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P ram compatability

JATMON01

I'm building a new system using the i7 920. There is so much conflicting info about which ram will yield the best results. I'm building this rig primarily for heavy gaming and media storage. I have no problem spending money for the absolute best hardware available, but in the same sense I don't want to waste money either. Which Corsair memory and how many gigs of it do you recommend?

Moved thread from Product Suggestions / Requests to COMPATIBILITY forum.

Memory recommendations depend on what you're using the system for. Personaly I have that CPU with the TR3X6G1600C8D and it works great.

• Corsair Employees

As Wired mention how much memory and what speed of memory will depend mostly on you and how you plan to use the system. I would start with these questions and then go from there. But for 90% of the users what Wired is using would be suggested. However, with the CPU you will get it would require some over clocking.

1. What O.S will you be using?

2. How much memory do you want in your system?

3. Do you plan on over clocking and if so how much of an over clock do you hope to attain?

4. How will the system be configured, what Video Card how many HDD's will you be using a raid configuration?

All of the info is in my system specs, some of the items listed I have not purchased yet (ram is one of them), but ultimately I will. I have several friends that have gaming rigs that have switched from Vista to Windows 7 they absolutely love it, so I'm probably going to go with 7. As I stated in the opening statement, I plan on using this primarily as a gaming rig and media center, 2 SSD's in RAID 0 for my C drive and 4 x 2 Tbs WD HDD for my D drive, ran in RAID 5. As far as how much ram, I've heard and read a couple of threads from you that any more than 6gigs is a waste. I was originally going to buy 12gigs, but you can't find 12gigs in matched sets at more than 1333mhz, I'm assuming that there is a reason for that. I don't mind over clocking a little, but I like a system to last me several years with little to no maintenance, any time you overclock a component it reduces it's MTBF. Video cards are nvidia gtx 295's in SLI. One thing I hope to get out of this is, is it better to run 6gigs of 1600mhz or 12gigs at a lower or even native speed speed? All in all I want a super fast rig that I don't have to spend my life bench marking and tweaking to make it a stable platform. I like a little tweaking here and there, but some of these guys seem to spend every waking hour tweaking it to get it to run right, defeats the whole purpose of owning a great rig.

• 2 months later...
Well if you want 12 Gig then get HX3X12G1600C9 or if you want 6 Gig only the best performance would be with TR3X6G1600C8D and what I would suggest based on what you stated.

As of RIGHT NOW I'm about to click CHECKOUT on my list on NewEgg. But I got stock deciding on which Memory Stick should I buy for my MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P.

As a hardcore gamer, I'm trying to decide between these memory kits:

HX3X12G1333C9 = 12GB

HX3X12G1600C9 = 12GB

TR3X6G1600C8D = 6GB

As you noticed, I'm looking for 12GB but I saw in your statement that 6GB+ it's a waste. Does that apply for gaming?

I will only use this rig just for heavy intense gaming, that's all. Is 6GB of memory enough to play the latest games that requires high demand on GPU? Is it really 12GB a waste for just gaming? Would the games get advantage from all the 12GB or 6GB is more than enough? Obviously I won't be doing multi-tasking when gaming, so all the memory will go just for the game! Also, does Hexi-Channel memories works on the UDP4 mobo? Does the mobo takes advantages of these Hexa-Channel or it will only read 3 channel memory? Should I go with Hexa-Channel or Triple-Channel? Is there any DDR3 2100? If so, would you recommend it to me or would you recommend more 1333, 1600 or any other? I would love to have a lot of GB for the memory for the future but I wouldn'y like to sacify performance for amount of memory either. So if you say that 6GB of good performance (TR3X6G1600C8D) it's better than tons of memory (HX3X12G1600C9), I would go with your experience and go with low memory but better performance; but if you say that (HX3X12G1600C9) it's good performance too, I would rather go with it since it has 12GB and it's also DDR3 1600, but it's not a DOMINATOR Model as the (TR3X6G1600C8D), does the name "DENOMINATOR" matter here even tho both are DDR3 1600? PLEASE HELP HERE!!!!. Money is not an issue here, but wouldn't like to spend more than $300 - $400 just on memory. Please HEEELP.

Could you PLEASE advise me and consult me with these questions? Any advise and recommendations are highly appreciated and I will take them into consideration when placing my order, which actually is right now... So hopefully I'll get some answers from you guys ASAP.

Again, in advance I highly appreciate you help, time and recommendations. Please, specifics models of memory is highly appreciated too.

Thank you very much and hope to hear from you guys soon.

I can play any game at max settings with no isue with my rig.

Hexi-channel doesn't exist. X58 rigs will work with 6 sticks is the answer to your question.

There is no such thing as Dual / Triple Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual or triple channel.

I can play any game at max settings with no isue with my rig.

Hexi-channel doesn't exist. X58 rigs will work with 6 sticks is the answer to your question.

There is no such thing as Dual / Triple Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual or triple channel.

Thank you so much for the fast response Wired.

As for the Hexa-Channel and Triple-Channel memory you gave me a doubt and I recheck on NewEgg... and you are right, there is not such a thing as Triple-Channel or Hexa-Channel... I miss the word "Kit" (Hexa-Channel Kit) which I figure out that it means that the package comes with either 2 stikcs (dual), 4 sticks (Quad) and 6 Sticks (Hexa) "Channel Kits"... My bad... But thanks a lot...!!!

Getting that out of the way... and going back to the previous post... What would you recommend me? Going with 6GB or 12GB. Again, I'm only going to be playing and not much of a multi-tasking... Does the games REALLY take advantages of 12GB or they only handle "X" Amount of memory, lets say 6GB for example... Also, I can't decide yet between these memories:

3X1600LV6GK = 6GB ********

3P1600LV6GK = 6GB ********

TR3X6G1600C8D = 6GB Corsair

HX3X12G1333C9 = 12GB Corsair

All are in the same price range and has almost the same specs, but I can't decide yet.

NOTE1: The first two memories had special combo price with the i7 CPU, that's why I added them to the list... The Corsair does not has a special combo price and it's also $42.00 more expensive.

NOTE2: The HX3X12G1333C9 = 12GB Corsair is in a really good price, but would this model will be a lower performance compared to the 6GB TR3X6G1600C8D? Which would you go for? Advices??? <--- Thanks

NOTE3: Last question, what does this exactly means according to my motherboard specs for the memory? (DDR3 2100+/1333).

Could you recommend me any specific memories, brands, models, amount of memory PLEASE...

Any advise is highly appreciated..!!! Thanks in advance Wired, or any other member/s.

Like I said, I can play any game at max settings with my setup. Check the dropdown in my post for my PC specs.

12 GB is largely overkill for gaming currently. It's good if you're running multiple VMs and the like.

Wired, thank you so much for your reply. It helped me a lot.

Wired based on your PC spec I was able to compare it versus my setup and trusting your statement that you can run any game at high setting, my setup should do just fine or better thanks to the my SLI 295 GTXs. The rest it's just about the same... Now the only thing that I'm concerning now is the Power Supply. Is it 1,000W going to be enough for 2 295 GTXs and the rest of my spec are the same as yours ecept that I have a GA X58-UD4P Motherboard. What do you think? Should I go beyond 1,000W for the PSU? Any specific brand, model is highly appreciated! Better yet if it's full modular.!

Thanks again guys.!!!

Archived