Corsair Community

Buzzing Noise PSU, yet again, help!

jdub84

Hello Corsair Forums,

So, to be direct to the point, my PSU is making a buzzing noise (for quite some time now), and I must seek advice as to what to do. I have tried all of the forum suggestions, disable C1E and EIST to no avail. I was wondering if there are any other options, and whether I should just RMA it.

The noise is affecting all of the recording on my M-Audio Firewire 410, which is connected to the computer via Firewire cable. The noise itself is picked up by my speakers, which are connected to the firewire sound card with balanced 1/4" cables (so it minimizes the excess noise). I can also physically hear the noise on my PSU when I put my ear near it.

Any help/suggestions on this issue would be greatly appreciated, let me know if I need to provide more information, and whether I should RMA the PSU.

Thanks for the help!

J

Okay, so I moved the plugs around so that the PSU plugs directly into the wall, still having noise issues. Not sure if anything I am doing is affecting it, but the sound is still highly audible and still picked up by my recording.

As I speak now, with my speakers powered off, I can still hear a noise coming through from the power supply.

Its a bad grounding, usually a low quality motherboard does that, I used to hear it on my schools computer all the time, but then again it also might be the vibration of the fans on your psu or chassis sending vibration over to the mb and causing it to interfere, you can try buying that rubber padding that goes around the plastic of the fan to reduce the vibration, but then again this is only a suggestion.

My psu used to make noise everytime i turned it on from the back, i replaced my power surge connector (the thing that splits the power connector into 8 seperate connectors) and it stopped doing that, it seems like my 10 year old surge protector was failing and i needed a new one.

• Corsair Employees

If the sound is coming out through the speakers then I would agree that it may be a grounding issue. You may want to test the PSU with it outside of the case, and possibly remove the motherboard from the case as well to see if you can duplicate the problems. Also, if you can test the PSU in a different system then that should be the easiest way to see if its the PSU itself causing the problem, or if it may be caused by some other component.

If at any point you believe it to be caused by the PSU then we can replace it for you. Just use use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

However from what you describe it sounds like it could be a grounding issue or even a software problem. Can you duplicate the same issues if you boot the system up in safe mode?

Hi Guys,

So I managed to solve the issue of the PSU buzzing. It is somehow attributed (I think) as you all said, to the grounding issue.

As RAM GUY suggested, I took the PSU out of the case and turned my computer on with the speakers loud enough to hear the noise, and sure enough the noise was gone!! However, I did manage to bring the noise back briefly (I put the side casing on my p182 case) and I am not quite sure if it was this move that caused it, but the noise came back again and would not go away. I also heard the hard disk spinning (as in, my hard-drive was under some sort of load, whether it be itunes or whatever software I ran), in which case I tried moving some cables and tightening some possible lose plugs within the computer itself.

The noise did not go away until I turned my computer off, and pushed the power for my sata drive in, and nudged the PSU around until it seemed stable. I powered on my computer and the noise was gone again!

If anyone is experiencing this problem and have tried the bios solutions (C1E and EIST off), the try moving around some lose/pinched cables and see if that works, Also, try RAM GUY's suggestion of removing the PSU from the case to see if there are exposed grounding issue (make sure it is unplugged first before playing around in there), and then try powering on the computer again.

I want to thank everyone who provided suggestions, and saved me from having to RMA my PSU!!! Corsair rules for providing quick suggestions.

J

Okay, so the buzzing noise is back, which is leading me to think that the PSU is faulty. Sometimes the PSU will act stubbornly and begin emmiting the buzzing noise, while sometimes the noise simply is not there.

It is fairly inconsistent, with the noise only coming in every other boot (sometimes it takes 10 or more restarts for the noise to go away.) I blew away all the dust inside, and it seems to help in booting it without noise, but I find myself having to remove the PSU from the case just to get the noise to go away. I have, however, managed to get the noise to appear while the PSU was out of the case, so it is definitely not a grounding issue.

I am thinking of going through the RMA process to make sure the noise is no longer an issue. Will the RMA "guarantee" the noise being gone in the new PSU sent? And also, what criteria will be used to check whether the PSU passes for an RMA? I am just worried that once you guys get the PSU, that the noise will not appear during your testing.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry to bring back this 'dead' thread.

Archived