Corsair Community

CM2X1024-6400C4 ver2.1 and ver6.2 compatibility

poparazvan

I have 2x CM2X1024-6400C4 ver2.1 and 2x CM2X1024-6400C4 ver6.2. My mobo is an Asus p5n32-e sli plus. The CM2X1024-6400C4 model is specified in the QVL of the mobo. My question is why when i stick 1 ver2.1 and 1 ver 6.2 in the dual channel slots the memory won`t run in dual channe?. Also why when i stick the 2 ver2.1 in channel A and the 2 ver6.2 in channel B(or the other way) the computer hangs in POST?

To use all 4 i have to set them:

DIMM_A1: v2.1 DIMM_A2 v6.2 (blue color slots)

DIMM_B1: v2.1 DIMM_B2 v6.2 (white color slots)

but they work in Single Channel. I want to use Dual Channel :(

PS: I have the latest bios for the MOBO.

I didn`t had time yesterday to open up my pc and do the testing but today I found some time and i tested haw u asked.

Here is the screenshot:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/9904/21610502.jpg

As u can see the v6.2 ones don`t show EEP, or the 4-4-4-12@2.1v latencies:bigeyes:.

On the modules is write clearly 4-4-4-12 2.1v. Why is this happening?

• Corsair Employees

What is the lot code on all of the modules?

More than likely you purchased them before there was a EPP Profile defined.

And you cannot mix them the modules that match should be in slots A1 and B1 and the other set in slots A2 and B2 then the memory frequency should be set to DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and leave the timings at Auto.

• Corsair Employees
They were all made in late 2007 about the time the EPP Profiles were developed and there was a time when only the Dominator modules has EPP Profiles, did you try the settings I suggested?

The settings u suggested work .. the computer no longer hangs in post with the memory frequency set to 667. But isn`t the voltage 2.100 too big?

As a clarification.. the ver6.2 works at 4-4-4-12@2.1v not as design,but overclocked, and the ver2.1 with EEP supports 4-4-4-12@2.1v as design? This is where the incompatibility is created? :confused:

I bought the 2 packs at the same time .. so i thought they would be compatible ..tough luck :(

Thanx for the help.

They say 2.1v right on the memory labels. That's the correct voltage. By themselves, each pack is guaranteed to do 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v @ 800 Mhz as per the label.

The incompatibility comes in because they're made with different ICs (integrated circuits), hence the different version numbers.

Even if they were the same version, there's no guarantee 4 sticks would work at full speed because they weren't tested or sold that way, not to mention the added stress on the memory controller when using 4 sticks. That in of itself usually requires a speed drop.

• Corsair Employees
Just make sure that you install the modules that are the same verson in slots A1 and B1 and the other modules that match in slots A2 and B2 so you are not mixing them and they should run in D/C at DDR667.

Archived