Corsair Community

NOOB Question. Mixing DDR1 CORSAIR XMS 500MHZ

turbo_Dave

I have 2 sticks of Corsair DDR1 XMS they read: CMX512-3500LLPRO

I just got 2 sticks of Corsair DDR1 XMS they read: CMX512-4000PRO

I have an epox 9npa motherboard

I tried making the 3448 on the faster one down to 2326 in the bios but my bios has ALOT of features for ram

and i know nothing about it ram speed or that it even mattered that much.

Im running Windows 7 RC 64 bit and I have an AMD 4000 and 8600gt 512mb.

The board supports dual core, but DDR1 So im trying to get the fastest ram i can when i get a dual core processor.

I got these two sticks, and I would like to push them to both 500 if thats possible....

I dont know anything about anything. Ive read alot and alot and id like the spoon in my mouth now. (i want to play fear2)

personally i dont think its gonna happen.

mixing ram is never a good thing, even if it boots ok you are asking for serious stability issues. the 4000 ram defaults to 3200 in its profile and having 3500 ram in there as well is not supported.

that board supports ddr400 or 333. you would be much better off with a pair of 3200PTLL and try to push them to 220+fsb.

dont get me wrong, i love the LEDs too but not at a cost of stability ESPECIALLY if overclocking.

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=4979

is the list of supported modules for your board.

i wish i had better news for you but what you are trying to do is completely off the board ;)

I agree with Synthohol it would be best to just replace what you have now with one set of Twinx2048-3200C2PT.

yearning to get back into the modding world i bought this socket 939 epox and put my old Athlon 64 4000 in it. I didn't realize this (awesome board) had ddr1 ram still on it.

As of right now I am not going to put any more money into my outdated systems.

I have a socket 775 with pentium 4HT in it, and it has 2 gig of 533mhz ram, bus speed 533. I could get a penitum D for the system but that's around 100$ for a good CPU.

The Epox has LED's and a digital display on the board, so having the ram with LED's was a must for me.

THATS NOT THE POINT: the point is efficiency, I can go and buy a good athlon x2 for aroudn 50 $. however, my bus speed is going to be way more than 400 MHZ. this isn't good if my ram is the main limiter on this system. Can dual channel fix that limiter or something?

If its possible too manually set the timings on these to both run at like 470 mhz that would be awesome. I know the 3500LL can go up to 450 no problem.

Currently im spending all my extra cash on a netbook (and selling my laptops) and then getting a 12 inch ultra portable gaming net/notebook (name withheld) so im not really wanting to throw cash at my desktops.

I have too many desktops with dual core capability and slow 512mb ram sticks. I will start from scratch. however my main point is that i don't want to dump any more money into outdated 939 and 775 sockets

i will be purchasing corsair twinx, for my next major system :cool: . I don't need more than 2GB on this socket 939 DDR1 rig So what i have I just want to make work.

:idea: my main question: can these be set to run together at the 3500LL speed? is there any possible way to get them to work. I don't care what its made for, i care what it can do, And how i can do it. any advice to this would be greatly appreciated. I already know that buying new things can fix the problem. that is a standard answer for mostly any physical problem

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but the way you replied is hard to follow.

However, I think if I understand what you are asking correctly the answer is no, you cannot mix memory with that platform all of the modules SPD information has to match or the system will detect a SPD miss match and stop the post. That is a limit of the memory controller in the CPU. Now you are welcome to try anything you like but with that MB and 4 modules it would be a 50/50 shot with 4 modules that did match weather it would post let alone run.

I am sorry but the way you replied is hard to follow.

However, I think if I understand what you are asking correctly the answer is no, you cannot mix memory with that platform all of the modules SPD information has to match or the system will detect a SPD miss match and stop the post. That is a limit of the memory controller in the CPU. Now you are welcome to try anything you like but with that MB and 4 modules it would be a 50/50 shot with 4 modules that did match weather it would post let alone run.

ok sorry im from another forum and i just bolded the details so i wouldnt waste youre time

I put 2 sticks in it runs, put the other 2 in it doesnt show up, either way one set doesnt show up in bios

Im wondering if I can install one set to the predetermined speed of the other set.

so that when I put the different speed sticks in, the computer is reading at a set spead that is regular for those sticks.

If it can only work at ddr400 then thats fine or 438mhz thats fine. Im sure there is some sort of way, the mobo doesnt even recognize they are there. It does read the overclocked ram I think.

im guessing you guys dont like the idea of mixing things. Im from a website called realhomemadeturbo, we put junkyard turbos in new cars and make them run good.

im sure someone in this world could walk right up to my computer and type away and bam all 4 sticks work!

these sticks go to original ddr 400 speed, then you have to over clock them. why can I not just set both sticks at ddr 400 speed?

whats the reason they dont like to mix?

i read about jedec or something spd? where certain ram defaults to custom speed and certain doesn't?

man i thought you guys would know how to do this instead of telling me to buy new stuff.

• Corsair Employees

I have explained this in my previous reply please read it again.

you cannot mix memory with that platform all of the modules SPD information has to match or the system will detect a SPD miss match and stop the post. That is a limit of the memory controller in the CPU.

As I said you are welcome to try anything you like but some MB's will not post if the modules SPD information is not matched.

I would try and set the memory frequency to DDR333 and set the timings to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.8 Volts and then see if it will post with all four but you cannot mix the modules or in other words if slots 1 and 3 are dual channel the modules that match would go in slots 1-3 and the other set in slots 2-4.

ok sorry im from another forum and i just bolded the details so i wouldnt waste youre time

PC3200 RAM is the fastest Ram Corsair supports, please refer to the link i posted earlier

If it can only work at ddr400 then thats fine or 438mhz thats fine. Im sure there is some sort of way, the mobo doesnt even recognize they are there. It does read the overclocked ram I think.
pushing RAM past its rated speed is also officially not supported (but some of us cant help ourselves :): )

im sure someone in this world could walk right up to my computer and type away and bam all 4 sticks work!
and when they do please give them MY address!! me next!!! me next!!!

these sticks go to original ddr 400 speed, then you have to over clock them. why can I not just set both sticks at ddr 400 speed?

thats an oxymoron, please be more clear on this.

man i thought you guys would know how to do this instead of telling me to buy new stuff.
none of us would tell you to purchase unsupported RAM for your board in the first place.

look, i totally understand where you are coming from believe me! but you are asking us how to pull teeth from a lobster. its an unfair question.

I have explained this in my previous reply please read it again.

As I said you are welcome to try anything you like but some MB's will not post if the modules SPD information is not matched.

I would try and set the memory frequency to DDR333 and set the timings to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.8 Volts and then see if it will post with all four but you cannot mix the modules or in other words if slots 1 and 3 are dual channel the modules that match would go in slots 1-3 and the other set in slots 2-4.

Thank you for the info. My motherboard posts and loads windows fine with the 4 sticks in. it just only recognizes 2 of them. I will messs around with it. Finally some advice. Unlike most people here i can't just pull 4 gigs out of my *** and put them into the slots.

4 gigs of some nice ram coulld get a decent new amd barebones...

....but you are asking us how to pull teeth from a lobster. its an unfair question.

yeah i know i just had the 3500LL and i saw 4000 pro on ebay for 40 bucks shipped i flipped out and bought it.

i put myself in this place, so asking for knowledge to fix it might be hard.

It just weird how ram isn't that compatible, i havent been into computers past couple years, and back then, you just stuck whatever in the ram slot that was not sd ram and was ddr ram lol

and i do know a guy who i can call and he can type stuff in and bam all 4 sticks work. He could have gone to MIT but hes in jail for identiy theft and giving out free cell phone service from major companies and stuff. why are some super smart people really dumb?

Archived