Corsair Community

Bad HX1000W?

noushy

Hello Ramguy and all, I have a second system running a core i7 and having a horrible time with the HX1000. My first system consists of an Asus Rampage II Extreme, HX1000, Core i7 965, 12GB of Dominator 1600D9, and a pair of EVGA 295 in quad sli. Runs and works great, the best setup I have built to date.

My new second system (for a family member) consists of an EVGA X58 SLI motherboard, Core i7 920, 6GB of Corsair DDR1333C9 (3x2GB), and a pair of EVGA GTX 285 video cards. With a single video card my previous power supply (750W non-corsair) posts and runs great. Running Vista X64 SP2. I purchased the HX1000 so I could add a second video card without running the risks of overloading the 750W PSU. With the HX1000 (unit #1), the standby LED lights but when you hit power, the CPU fan spins for a split second and shuts down. No boot, no post, no nothing. I returned the HX1000, and purchased a second unit. After about 30mins of swapping cables, and rebuilding the system, the exact same results. In fact, I tried adding the second EPS 12V cable, and using that one instead of the nonmodular one, and no change. Disconnected all other devices and the same results.

My question is can it be possible that I have 2 bad HX1000 units, or is this unit just incompatible with this setup. I went back to the original 750W PSU and the system boots fine.

Please advise,

Noushy

• Corsair Employees
The HX1000 is compatible with the EVGA motherboard, however I would suspect you are running into different issue. There has to either be a short or grounding problem somewhere, or possibly a component is going out of spec and causing the HX1000 to shut down. If you have not tried it already, I would swap the PSU into your other system and see if you have the same problems, to see if you can rule the PSU out completely.

Ramguy, the HX1000 works on my Asus boards, just not on the EVGA X58 SLI rev1.0. Supposedly EVGA made changes so that it works fine with the rev1.1. boards, but I was unable to find one locally. I was able to use a competitors 1200W PSU with absolutely no problems, the system booted perfectly with two GTX 285 cards. There are several PSUs that do not work with the older rev1.0 cards, including my experience with the HX1000. This was also the second unit I tested, and they both would not start up the system.

Thanks for your help, I will still continue to use and purchase Corsair products (looking forward to that new 256GB SSD) along with Dominator and Dominator GT memory for my high end systems.

Thanks,

Noushy

Thanks for the help guys, I even ran the system with one video card using the two supplied 6+2 cables and not using any of the modular cables. System still did not post, would only go to standby. In addition, there is no additional 4 pin molex power connector on the X58 Sli board. There may be one on the classified board, but not the garden variety $300 part.

As I can say again, this board is somewhat demanding, and there are other PSUs out there that also do not work with this configuration. I would have loved to had the second Corsair HX1000 unit work on my newest Nehalem system, but that is just the way it goes. I did not want to spend $450 for another Asus Rampage II Extreme for this system. That board works flawlessly with the Corsair PSU. All I can say is it has something to do with the rail design, how many rails it runs. The PSUs that run a single rail all work. The ones that seem to adjust voltage to keep efficiency high have more problems. Do a little reading on Newegg and you will see this.

Thanks,

Noushy

Do a little reading on Newegg and you will see this.

Thanks,

Noushy

I would not trust the Newegg reviews to consistently contain very much useful information.

We have tested both of the EVGA X58 boards in house, the X58 SLI and the more demanding X58 Classified. Additionally, there are scores of users at the EVGA forums that use and recommend the HX-1000 for others. If you are unstable with your particular combo after trying 2 PSUs, you likely have an anomolous MOBO.

FWIW, this is what EVGAs Classified can do with an HX-1000 board, the right CPU, the right memory, and the right guy doing the OCing: http://www.corsair.com/news/press_release.aspx?id=977594

Archived