Corsair Community

2 stick CMX512-3200LL + 1 stick VS1GB400C3 not compatible?

Nonononstop

Hello there. About 8 years ago, I built my computer from scratch with a friend of mine as a fun summer project.

The 2 sticks of Corsair CMX512-3200LL PC3200 are in slots 1 and 3.

I thought it was time to finally upgrade the ram so, last week, I purchased 1 stick of Corsair VS1GB400C3, which I placed in slot 2.

Upon booting, I get an error message window saying that there's a bad timing mismatch issue. I do not know what that means but it doesn't sound good. It sounds like the 2 different models of RAM are not compatible. But, I honestly don't know. My knowledge about computers are in the lower intermediate level.

Is the VS1GB400C3 not compatible with the CMX512-3200LL PC3200? Or are there some sort of settings I need to do. I have no problems when it comes to following explicit directions.

I'd like to know if the VS1GB400C3 is not compatible with the CMX512-3200LL PC3200 so that I can quickly return it and get a different ram. If this is the case, what would you suggest? I do some gaming and will and upgrade my video card in the near future, if that helps. Thank you so much for your time and help.

the rule of thumb is pretty much all ram must be of the same make and model for even a chance to play well with mixed sets on the same board.

the value select is CAS3 and the better ram (LL) should be 2.5 or even 2.

the timings are all mixed. you would be better with 2x1G sticks of anything matching IMHO.

i really dont think getting support for this matter is gonna happen, mixing models or brands of RAM is not supported by any manufacturer. sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Short answer: Not compatible.

You can try running them together by setting the timings to 3-4-4-8 and you may have to lower the speed to 333, but you're better off just getting a 2 GB pack to replace what you have.

Wow, thanks guys for your replies. I'm certainly learning a lot about RAM now. I decided to return the single stick VS1GB400C3. I've also decided to take out the 2 sticks of CMX512-3200LL and replace them a twin set of RAM instead.

Corsair is recommending this module: TWINX2048-3200C2PT.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts about this module and the setup that I currently have. Is there anything I should consider about compatibility about this RAM before buy this one?

Thanks again, Synthohol and Wired for your previous inputs!

Archived