Corsair Community

The best 8Gb overclocking memory choice for Asus P5N64 WS Pro mobo

BakLAN

Hello. I think this question generally to RAM GUY but other are welcome too.

I have Asus P5N64 Ws Pro mobo, want to install 8 Gb of memory on it and overclock it as much as possible. Saw the list of compatible modules but still don't understand if ther still compatible as if ther would be in 2 pairs on motherboard (8Gb total).

I found TW3X4G1600C9DHX modules in stock in my city, so the thirst question about this modules: will they works fine as 2 pairs on my mobo?

And another question is why the maximum frequency that would works is 1600Mhz as in motherboard's datasheet note that is support up to 2000Mhz memory modules?

Also I found in stock TW3X4G1800C8DF memory and review of some guy here who's installed 8 Gb of that mamory and it works fine as he says. So, can it be truth and may be I should try this modules at first?

Immediately thank you for your reply and apologize for the lengthy text. I very much want to squeeze out the maximum potential out of memory on my motherboard (of course not at the expense of stability).

I found TW3X4G1600C9DHX modules in stock in my city, so the thirst question about this modules: will they works fine as 2 pairs on my mobo?
If you get 2 pairs that are the same version # that would maximize compatibility, however they can't guaranteee they'll run together because they didn't test it.

And another question is why the maximum frequency that would works is 1600Mhz as in motherboard's datasheet note that is support up to 2000Mhz memory modules?

Also I found in stock TW3X4G1800C8DF memory and review of some guy here who's installed 8 Gb of that mamory and it works fine as he says. So, can it be truth and may be I should try this modules at first?

It would probably work if you can OC your FSB that high and your memory controller can handle 8 GB at those speeds. Note that TW3X4G1800C8DF isn't listed on the Corsair website anymore, so they may not be making it anymore. 1600 is the fastest 2 stick pack they list on the website, hence why it's the fastest speed listed on the Corsair Compatibility Site for your motheboard.

If you get 2 pairs that are the same version # that would maximize compatibility, however they can't guaranteee they'll run together because they didn't test it.

So, if you bought the memory for yourself, how would you do in this case? Maybe better to buy only 4Gb of 2000Mhz and that's it? But not too few for today?

It would probably work if you can OC your FSB that high and your memory controller can handle 8 GB at those speeds.

How can I know it as In datasheet there is no info about it?

Note that TW3X4G1800C8DF isn't listed on the Corsair website anymore, so they may not be making it anymore.

Interesting, but why? Bad memory or something...(?) There are lot of such memory in prices in my city...

1600 is the fastest 2 stick pack they list on the website, hence why it's the fastest speed listed on the Corsair Compatibility Site for your motheboard.

In any case, I can try...

So, if you bought the memory for yourself, how would you do in this case? Maybe better to buy only 4Gb of 2000Mhz and that's it? But not too few for today?
Depends on what you're using the PC for.

How can I know it as In datasheet there is no info about it?
If you mean how can you know if it can handle 8 GB @ 2000 because it's not on the compatibility website, well you can't. OC'ing is hit and miss :) No guarantees.

Interesting, but why? Bad memory or something...(?) There are lot of such memory in prices in my city...
I'd guess they're concentrating more on 3 stick packs for the Core i7 systems which are triple channel. Yes, you could get a triple channel, and then use 2 out of the 3 sticks (or 4 out of 6 if you get a 6 pack kit), and then later use all of the memory if you switch to a Core i7 system later on.

Depends on what you're using the PC for.

Using for working aspeccially with VMs and archiving, coding video and music. And a little for games at last. ^)

If you mean how can you know if it can handle 8 GB

No I mean whether can I oc my FSB so high that memory controller can handle 8 GB must be in mobo's datasheet or no?

I'd guess they're concentrating more on 3 stick packs for the Core i7 systems which are triple channel. Yes, you could get a triple channel, and then use 2 out of the 3 sticks (or 4 out of 6 if you get a 6 pack kit), and then later use all of the memory if you switch to a Core i7 system later on.

Yes, I understood that situation. But I don't like i7 proc's because thay too hot - 130 Wt ! C2Q - 95W, 9550S - 65W - big differences for stability reasons.

• Corsair Employee

If you want 8 Gig of memory the only 8 gig set we offer in DDR2 would Q2X8G6400C4DHX and what I would suggest.

However, we no longer list 4 Gig sets for DDR3 other than what is listed TW3X4G1600C9DHX is the only part and with two of these sets DDR1333 would be suggested.

TW3X4G1600C9DHX is a pre-tested pack of 2 sticks that will run at 1600. If you get 2 packs, each pack is of course not tested with each other, and as such cannot be guaranteed to run @ 1600 together. Most memory controllers don't like running max speed with 4 sticks anyway, which may force a speed drop in of itself.

They will probably run ok @ 1333 together, but you may have to tweak some settings, which of course you can get advice here about.

Overall I'd go with the 8 GB, as most of what you've listed is more memory intensive than speed intensive, although the music encoding may be the exception where it would want both.

Yes, would be great to get maximum of possible but as I see It is very complicated and problematic. So, when I'll buy my Q9550S soon, I think I'll try to buy 1600 modules and test it with your support I believe ^)

Archived