Corsair Community

ASUS P5Q Deluxe + Dominators problem

Firestorm ZERO

I have a ASUS P5Q Deluxe with 4 2GB Dominators (2 packs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D) for a total of 8GB. It was running smoothly for about a month using Vista 64-bit.

Today, I started to get BSOD and computer would not boot when I start up. I did a memtest+ test and got a bunch of errors. So I tried to pinpoint which modules has the issue. So I went through individual and in pairs. I did one full test each (1 round of all tests all passed). Then I retested with all 4 sticks and the errors didn't show up and the computer ran fine.

I don't know if the issue is either the memory, motherboard or heat. I have a lot of fans in my case though. Temp is around the mid 30s. Also all settings are default. No overclocking was done. I'm currently doing a 8 hour memtest on the pairs. Any ideas what could be the issue?

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to do some tests. I did as you said and downclock it to 800 and pump the voltage. I decided to even reinstall Vista 64 just in case.

Anyway the problem still occurs. Like after like long hours (12+), Vista will BSOD. I'm still trying to figure out if the problem is the motherboard or the memory.

So I did the memtest+ (v2.11). I'm currently testing one pair of Dominators. And after 27 hours, I get the following errors (while in DDR800 and voltage up)...

Tst 4 - Pass 23 - Failing Address 000cc01d854 - 3264.8MB - Good cee985a1 - Bad eee985a1 - Err-Bits - 20000000 - Count 1

Tst 7 - Pass 30 - Failing Address 000cfd857e4 - 3325.3MB - Good b55521f2 - Bad b75521f2 - Err-Bits - 02000000 - Count 2

So do I have to RMA this pair?

Archived