Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX won't work in Dell Inspiron 530?

puzzledinmn

I am trying to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 530 to 3GB and bought TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX on sale. Now my system hangs at the Bios screen (until I put my old memory back in). Should this memory be compatible? My old memory is 2 512MB Corsair PC2-5300. I thought these 1GB PC2-6400 modules would work.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but they may not work with this system as these modules may require more voltage than the system can provide. Please look up your system on our memory configurator and only use memory that was suggested. Also to be sure one is not failing try installing just one module then go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and then test them one up with http://www.memtest.org.

When I install the modules just one at a time, one runs Vista just fine and shows up correctly with cpuz. The other module by itself just hangs the system at the Bios screen. I will try memtest if I can remember how to burn an iso file with Roxio.

Results: I ran memtest86 for 1 hour 45 min. (2 passes) with no errors on the good module. Looks like I bought one good module and one bad.

• 2 weeks later...
I got my replacement modules and they fail memtest every couple minutes. Thanks for recommending that test because my system seemed to run Windows ok. I guess I need to buy the PC2 5300 memory that is recommended. An expensive lesson in upgrading memory.

Archived