Corsair Community

Computer constantly powers off-then on

chef_nate

Hello,

I assembled this computer two weeks ago and had two trouble free weeks with the system. I ran Windows XP 64 the first week then decided to try a clean install of Windows 7 RC, which ran problem free for a week as well. Now, however the computer will start and operate hassle free for about half an hour before it turns itelf off then on again. If I leave my computer on after this, the time interval between the computer powering off increases until I can barely get past posting. I've tried leaving the computer in Bios, Express Gate OS (it came with the MOBO) and Windows, and each time I get the power off. I tested the memory, no issues. I reseated the CPU and applied new thermal paste, it runs well within acceptable temperatures. I noticed that while I was monitoring the temperature with Speedfan, my 12V rail was being listed at 11.30V (both the 3.3V and 5V were at acceptable settings). I checked the rails in BIOS however and the 12V was posting at 11.98, but in Speed fan it is always at 11.3V.

I have used the PSU in a much older system and it worked well, so I was hoping maybe you could point me in the right direction as I've just about reached my wits end.

Thanks in advance.

Nate

• Corsair Employees

Both the BIOS and any software that runs in Windows is going to read the voltages AFTER they are regulated by the motherboard, so they would not be 100% accurate and can be off by quite a bit. The only thing that I can think of that could cause these issues (that you have not already ruled out) would be a failing motherboard or a problem with the BIOS. If possible I would test the PSU in a different system to be sure that you can rule the PSU out. If all else fails and you believe it could be the PSU then we can try replacing it for you.

To have the PSU replaced you can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived