Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF on MSI P45 Neo-F not working in dual channel

Hi,

I tested my RAM each in first slot and I got no errors. When I inserted second RAM, tho test both, comp boots if quick boot is enabled, but when I disable it, to go through whole POST, the RAM counting stops at random and never counts the whole RAM and freezes. I did sets timings to 5-5-5-15 and 2.1V, but didn't help.

Also I have a question about the last part of the timings: 5-5-5-15 2T 2.1V. What does 2T mean?

This is my 3rd motherboard. The first 2 were Asus P5QC and the both stopped working including VGA card, after some time. I tried everything and can't get it to work. You are the last ones I can turn to, please help.

best regards, Daniel

Hi,

it would be really nice if RAM guy or any other from Corsair would respond after two days to my problem, if there is anything I can do, before I stick a bad name to your brand.

Oh and never mind about 2T it's command rate.

best regards

Make sure you have all the latest Bios for your motherboard and that it supports 1066 speeds. If each stick works alone at 1066Mhz and runs perfectly fine with no issues then I would assume it might be an issue with your motherboard. :):

Hey, I have updated to latest bios version, modules started to work with 1066MHz speed, but dual channel still only working at 800MHz. There is a 100% certainty that it is not an issue with my motherboard because I changed two identical Asus boards, and now I have MSI board with same problem. I fear if I leave it like this it will happen the same to my MSI board as it did to my Asus boards.

I took the test at 800MHz with both modules in dual channel with no errors, so the conclusion is that they are OK but it just seems they do not work together.

any other suggestions?

Hi,

I tested each RAM at 1066MHz in first slot and I got no errors. When I inserted second RAM, to test both in dual channel, computer stops counting RAM at random and never counts the whole RAM and freezes. This was on setting 5-5-5-15 and 2.1V. BIOS was updated at this time.

I I tried at 800MHz it stops at 3072 for a moment and then continues to 4096. And memtest return no errors.

What does this mean? Is this normal?

Does this RAM even work in 1066MHz properly?

Only for info:

This is my 3rd motherboard. The first 2 were Asus P5QC and the both stopped working including VGA card, after some time (I know, it's creepy). I don't want to corrupt my MSI motherboard.

help!

For the RAM counting issue, this is a function of the board+BIOS so you would need to consult the MOBO maker and ask them what their board is doing.

Also, since you are OCing the memory controller to run your memory at 1066, you may need to bump the memory controller voltage a bit. Try 1-4 steps above the stock setting.

For the RAM counting issue, this is a function of the board+BIOS so you would need to consult the MOBO maker and ask them what their board is doing.

Also, since you are OCing the memory controller to run your memory at 1066, you may need to bump the memory controller voltage a bit. Try 1-4 steps above the stock setting.

I'm not sure what you mean with overclocking. My RAM is advertised as 1066MHZ. So you mean bit more that 2.1V?

One last question. Could the setting 5-5-5-15 2.1V at 1066MHz, corrupt my MOBO?

tnx for help!

There's nothing about OCing in MOBO system specs. For me 1066MHz is simply fully capable speed.

And BTW Asus P5QC has

FSB: 1600/1333/1066/800 MHz,

RAM: 2 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 1333/1066/800,

and here I clearly didn't OC anything except maybe your RAM (if it's really not 1066MHz). And two of those MOBOs stopped working.

The report here, suggests I am OCing your RAM, which in my case it is not able to run at those speeds.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I won't mind.

regards

Your memory controller is designed to run memory at a stock speed of DDR800. Using DDR1066 is OCing it.

Please read what I posted carefully. This applies to the ASUS also. The memory controller is designed by Intel to run memory at the stock speed of DDR800. Anything above that IS OCing the memory controller.

umm yes ofcourse... except your RAM never worked at 1066MHz for me.

Nvm now I'm running MSI P45 neo-f now on 800Mhz. I don't know what was wrong, maybe "CPU eist". But I don't wanna risk setting your RAM to 1066MHz and burning 3rd MOBO.

umm yes ofcourse... except your RAM never worked at 1066MHz for me.

Nvm now I'm running MSI P45 neo-f now on 800Mhz. I don't know what was wrong, maybe "CPU eist". But I don't wanna risk setting your RAM to 1066MHz and burning 3rd MOBO.

I'd suggest you look into a different MOBO if setting the memory frequency to 1066 is causing to you burn MOBOs. This is highly unstable behavior and sounds if it will lead to catastrophic failure which could take other parts with it.

Hi,

I did just that. I switched my Asus P5QC for MSI P45 Neo-F.

But unfourtantly with same unstable result.

My MSI P45 Neo-F is now stable at 800Mhz. I am able to use both modules only with "CPU eist" turned off.

regards

I got another update for you.

Even on 800MHz bad symptoms started to appear. My graphic performance started to degrade again and sure know what will follow. :mad:

Now I'm sure that you RAM is the fault! I know this sounds crazy (even to me), but now I'm sure your RAM somehow let's MOBO do things that makes it burns itself.

And for your support, you didn't offer me any good solution. You just repeating what I already did.

And thanks for the update? I bought 1066MHz RAM and you are satisfied with 800MHz? Sure you don't care that much, it's not you comp that doesn't run at full performance. I could save 50€ with buying 800MHz RAM.

But now I will, I'll just buys Kingston.

regards

I'm not sure what the issue actually is but, it is a physical impossibility for RAM to cause a MOBO to burn itself. Memory is a passive device and relies on the motherboard for its power.

Since you have had 2 different brands of motherboards show the same symptoms I'd suspect some other issue. It's possible that you have a bad power supply or a grounding problem.

Hi

I'm not sure what the issue actually is but, it is a physical impossibility for RAM to cause a MOBO to burn itself. Memory is a passive device and relies on the motherboard for its power.

Since you have had 2 different brands of motherboards show the same symptoms I'd suspect some other issue. It's possible that you have a bad power supply or a grounding problem.

Well that's the first thing that I did. I have new 850W power supply. What can I change next? CPU or the case? I got no more options. I had 3 MOBOs, 3 VGA cards and 2 power supplies. Next thing I'll do is just replace all, but my CPU and power supply which can't be the source of problem since I changed that and for a damn expensive one too. Hope the CPU is not the problem lol.

If I'll still have problems, I swear I'm gonna start suing people. Because this is going on for 4 moths now and it's an epic fail.

regards

Archived