Corsair Community

Obsidian Series 800D Case online

Wired

• Corsair Employees
Can someone please at least throw us a true estimated ship date? What could be the harm from keeping us in the loop so we don't have to sit here just wondering about it?

Hi, I'm the Case & Cooling PM. I'm using my older Apps Lab account here (since I started working in the lab almost 5 years ago!) but I can give you some info.

Right now I'm comfortable saying Q3, 2009. That's anywhere from July 1st to September 30th. I know it's a big gap, I'm trying to narrow it down. Every week I'm pulling in the date a little bit closer.

If everything goes well on the changes we make - you might see it in stores in August. If the changes require tweaks or fixes - it might be closer to the end of September.

I'm glad you guys are interested in the case. If any of you guys have direct questions about it that can't be answered here, feel free to send an email to powerguy@corsairmemory.com

(In in addition to Case & Cooling Product Manager, I'm also the Applications guy for Power Supplies, Cases, and Cooling products. Also I'm Redbeard on all the other forums out there. I'm a very busy dude.)

99.999% of the time these forums and the great and wonderful RAM GUY and Wired and all you other lunatics answer the questions perfectly fine - but if there's something specific that can't be answered feel free to drop me a line. I'll be reading the Case & Cooling forums pretty regularly.

Thanks dudes.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, I'm the Case & Cooling PM. I'm using my older Apps Lab account here (since I started working in the lab almost 5 years ago!) but I can give you some info.

Right now I'm comfortable saying Q3, 2009. That's anywhere from July 1st to September 30th. I know it's a big gap, I'm trying to narrow it down. Every week I'm pulling in the date a little bit closer.

If everything goes well on the changes we make - you might see it in stores in August. If the changes require tweaks or fixes - it might be closer to the end of September.

I'm glad you guys are interested in the case. If any of you guys have direct questions about it that can't be answered here, feel free to send an email to powerguy@corsairmemory.com

(In in addition to Case & Cooling Product Manager, I'm also the Applications guy for Power Supplies, Cases, and Cooling products. Also I'm Redbeard on all the other forums out there. I'm a very busy dude.)

99.999% of the time these forums and the great and wonderful RAM GUY and Wired and all you other lunatics answer the questions perfectly fine - but if there's something specific that can't be answered feel free to drop me a line. I'll be reading the Case & Cooling forums pretty regularly.

Thanks dudes.

Thanks for checking in on us and trying to narrow down the date a bit.

Possibly September, though ?? :confused: :(: :noooooo:

Ok, smileys aside, I was wondering what other revisions other than the CPU backplate opening were being made in your retooling efforts on this case. What else have you decided to modify for the final, or at least close to final revision?

I just want to know if there is the ability to use the veloci raptors in the hot swap capacity or not. Since there are the versions that are basicaly a laptop HD on a 5 1/4" hd bay heatsink, and the sata ports and power connectors are on different areas then a normal sats HD would be. Aslo the day the retail version is released will there be a buy it direct option the same day, or a pre-order option at all? So we can get our cases the same day the retailers do!?!

So you're Case Guy, Apps Guy, Power Guy and Cool Guy? Wow dude you're hardcore!

I didn't say it was a HX1000, it's a competitor's PSU (sorry Corsair) and is only 180mm long so just fits... I hope.

Are you talking about your own specific PSU?

In that case, if you insist on that second fan, you could always cut a fan hole yourself, all it takes is a dremel with a cut-off wheel and a drill bit. Although, since the HX1000W is only 20mm longer than yours, i still don't see how you would fit a 120mm fan in there.

But if i were you, with those needs i'd just pick up an average ATX case for $25, cut it up and put fans allover the place.

If you don't mind a bit of a personal question, if you can afford an Obsidian, how come you're not willing to upgrade to watercooling?

• Corsair Employees
I just want to know if there is the ability to use the veloci raptors in the hot swap capacity or not. Since there are the versions that are basicaly a laptop HD on a 5 1/4" hd bay heatsink, and the sata ports and power connectors are on different areas then a normal sats HD would be. Aslo the day the retail version is released will there be a buy it direct option the same day, or a pre-order option at all? So we can get our cases the same day the retailers do!?!

WD corrected the velociraptors with a backplane-compatible version:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=495

I'm not sure on the buy-it direct or pre-order stuff, I'll post more info when I get a shot.

Are you talking about your own specific PSU?

In that case, if you insist on that second fan, you could always cut a fan hole yourself, all it takes is a dremel with a cut-off wheel and a drill bit. Although, since the HX1000W is only 20mm longer than yours, i still don't see how you would fit a 120mm fan in there..

Have a look here: http://www.pcper.com/images/news/corsaircase/08.jpg

You can see the space where a fan would fit behind the PSU and below/opposite the fan between the PSU & M/B compartments...

Assuming that sapce is still there... Corsair Guys? :biggrin:

If you don't mind a bit of a personal question, if you can afford an Obsidian, how come you're not willing to upgrade to watercooling?

I'm new to overclocking, and a bit 'Old Skool' in that the idea of water and electricity don't go together in my book. I will get round to it eventually I'm sure. Anyway, I can only just afford the Obsidian, so the extra cost of a full water cooling kit would be a bit much!

Right behind the Power Supply, under the tangle of wires in the picture there is a vent visable, that's where! In the picture it even loks like there is a fan under the vent... Try zooming in on it...

Oh I give up! :p: :biggrin:

OH! That's IN FRONT of the PSU. Lol. Sure you can put a fan there no problem, if you really want to.

OH! That's IN FRONT of the PSU. Lol. Sure you can put a fan there no problem, if you really want to.

Well I've always classed it as behind! Never mind, at least you get me now!

@CORSAIR:

Any new news yet guys? Has the new prototype passed? Can we have a picture yet? Just a little ickle one? Pretty please? With a cherry on top?

• Corsair Employees
Any new news yet guys? Has the new prototype passed? Can we have a picture yet? Just a little ickle one? Pretty please? With a cherry on top?

No news that I am aware of. Once the final version is approved we will have more information, but at this time my best guess would be that it is still a few weeks off.

• Corsair Employees
Please? I'd like to know if i should pick up a Corsair SSD now or wait.

What would you like to know? Our SSDs have a standard SATA interface, so there is virtually no difference between an SSD and a 2.5 inch HDD as far as connectivity. You can use our SSD in the backplane of the O800D, or you can use a standard SATA HDD. If you are using a 2.5in drive like our SSD then you will need an adapter to convert from 3.5in to 2.5in so that it will fit correctly.

Edit: The Ramguy is incorrect on this one, scroll down for SpecMike's update!

Are there plans for an official solution though? IIRC the guy in the Tweaktown preview said you guys are working on something

Just so I am clear, are you asking about mounting this SSD in the Corsair Obsidian case in the hot swap bays with the back plane or what?

Actually, in post # 89 in this thread, you asked about the SSD compatible backplane on the Obsidian but it had been a few days since I read all this.

Our SSDs work with the Obsidian in the 4 hot swap bays with no adapters needed. I'll post a pic later after I resize it. The Obsidian HD trays are drilled in such a way as to allow a 2.5" HD to sit in the correct position. So, there is no adapter needed.

If you want to use an SSD in the lower drive bays or with a case not prepped for SSDs, you'll needed that adapter.

I've attached some pictures showing the hot swap trays and how the P64 SSD mounts. This applies to all of our SSDs as they are on the same form factor.

I have had an awesome time working with the Obsidian and great credit needs to go out to my co-worker who is the product manager over this case. I shudder to think of how many minute details he's had to deal with to get this case ready to go. But, we want it as close to perfect as it can be before we ship them. So yes, our SSDs fit perfectly with the Obsidian hot swap trays, just like we planned it ;):

It's a dream to work with so far and I've never owned a nice case before. So for me, this is like going from Yugo to a Ferrarri in 1 step. This is one of the many things that make my job fun! ::pirate::

Back side view of tray and P64

attachment.php?attachmentid=5701&stc=1&d=1246484409

Top side view of tray and P64

attachment.php?attachmentid=5702&stc=1&d=1246484409

Comparison, side by side, P64 and Raptor

attachment.php?attachmentid=5703&stc=1&d=1246484409

End view of the connector alignment on the hot swap tray:

attachment.php?attachmentid=5704&stc=1&d=1246484409

IMG_7707.JPG.aa0d4651d603dd112daaa3ccf32086eb.JPG

IMG_7708.JPG.d6fd1ff36dbb265ee338b77c51bbcde3.JPG

IMG_7709.JPG.f314ae0e191f4c0935f16d80f3bcef52.JPG

IMG_7710.JPG.5b4a90c90833b7b694bc7f0d862eec9a.JPG