Corsair Community

attn: Ram Guy: wrong ram? please help

jedie24

I purchased a Dell recommended ram upgrade from newegg.com and it seems as if it is incompatible with my desktop PC. I have a Dell Optiplex GX270. 2.8 GHZ P4 with a 533 FSB. Dell recommended (on their website) the Corsair XMS TWINX2048-3200C2PT 2GB ram upgrade. I purchased exactly that from newegg.com. When I installed the RAM and turned the PC on, it just beeped a few times and never booted. I put the old ram back in and it works just fine. Is this ram just incompatible with this machine? Is their any way to get it to work or should I just see if I can get newegg to exchange it for something else? Their policy states that they will not exchange this item, only switch it for another exactly the same. Please help. Jeremy

I had the exact same problem as Jedie24 with my Dell Dimension 3000 Advanced. At first I thought the RAM I got was defective, but the exact same thing happened when I exchanged it for the same product.

It would have been fabulous to know about the Memory Configurator on the Corsair website before I purchased my RAM, but I was going off of the Dell recommendation from the product manual (wrong or at least vague) and its given RAM maximum of 2GB.

So now I know that I have a 533MHz FSB, which is compatible with DDR-333 (PC-2700) 1GB, which I would happily purchase from Corsair.

So RAM Guy, any way I can exchange my TWINX2048-3200C2PT 2GB ram for the DDR-333 (PC-2700) kind? Or is that something I need to take up with customer service over the phone? Please help! Thank you.

Archived