Corsair Community

Configuring A7N8X Deluxe v1.04 for CMX-3200

Theresa.Earls

My computer is a bit old, one that I put together six years ago with a few recent hardware upgrades and it's doing pretty good. I originally put in two sticks of CMX512-2700C2. I don't play video games but I've started doing audio/video editing as a hobby and I thought increasing the RAM would help make the apps run smoother. I didn't know about this forum until after I got the memory and saw the link for it on the package. I hope I ended up buying the correct memory! I think it's non-returnable.

I swapped in the new memory and reset the BIOS to defaults then went in and made a few changes based on what I could determine might be the right thing from reading other posts here at the forum about this motherboard. The computer boots up fine and I'm able to do basic things but I haven't tried to do anything aggressive yet.

Here are my current settings:

Slots 2 & 3: TWINX2048-3200PT (XMS3200v3.5, LOT 09141741)

Slot 1: CMX1024-3200PT (XMS3200v5.1, LOT 09103110)

Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe rev 1.04, BIOS rev. 1008

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (FSB 333) (2120 MHz) (CPU ID 6.8.1)

PSU: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3 500W

Video Card: GeForce 6800 XTreme, AGP8X, 256 MB, DDR3

BIOS settings: (bolded items are modified from default)

CPU External Frequency: 166Mhz

CPU Frequency Multiple Setting: Auto

CPU Frequency Multiple: 12.5X

System Performance: Optimal

CPU Interface: Optimal

Memory Frequency: Auto

Resulting Frequency: Auto

Memory Timing: Optimal

SDRAM Active Precharge Delay: 7

SDRAM RAS to CAS: 3

SDRAM RAS to Precharge Delay: 3

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

FSB Spread Spectrum: 0.50%

AGP Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Vcore Setting: Auto

CPU Vcore: 1.650V

Graphics Aperture Size: 256MB

AGP Frequency: Auto

System BIOS Cacheable: Disabled

Video RAM Cacheable: Disabled

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7V

AGP VDDQ Voltage: 1.5V

AGP 8X Support: Enabled

AGP Fast Write: Enabled

The FAQ over at Asus says I can change the Memory Frequency to 120% since I'm running the 333 MHz AthlonXP and it will then run this memory at 400 MHz. But from what I've read around here, this is not really desirable with Socket A CPUs? Do I even need to change this? When I boot up now, the BIOS indicates the memory frequency is 166 MHz. Is this okay for the memory or can it end up damaging it?

Thanks so much! :):

UPDATE:

Apparently something is not correct in the settings. I'm getting system lock ups. I'll be in the middle of doing something and everything freezes. I just tried to run Memtest-86 v3.5 and even it froze up. I've typed up the screen here if it helps any.

Memtest-86 v3.5

|---------------------------------------------
Pass 21%
Test  5%
Test #5 
Testing:  200K – 2048M  3072M  Using CPU:0

Athlon XP (0.13) 2080 MHz
L1 Cache:  128K  12378 MB/s
L2 Cache:  256K   3946 MB/s
L3 Cache: None
Memory  : 3072M   1128 MB/s
Chipset : nVidia nForce2 SSP / FSB : 166 MHz
Settings: RAM : 166 MHz (DDR332) / CAS : 3-3-3-7 / Dual Channel (128 bits)

Time:   0:14:36    Cached: 3072M    Test_Sel:   Std    Pass:         0
MemMap:    e820    Iter:      40    CPU_Sel: Single    Errors:       0
Rsvd_Mem:   12K    Act_CPUs:   1    ECC_Mem:    Off    ECC Err:      0

Wired, thank you for responding so quickly.

Okay, I disabled the USB Legacy support and ran Memtest86+. It failed as well. Should I test each memory stick separately?

Here is the screen at the time of the big freeze:

06/01/09  
Memtest86+ v2.11

| Pass 10% ###
| Test 15% #####
| Test #4  [Moving inversions, random pattern]
| Testing:  132K – 2048M 3072M
| Pattern:   4c54b1ca

Athlon XP (0.13) 2080 MHz
L1 Cache:  128K  12378 MB/s
L2 Cache:  256K   3946 MB/s
L3 Cache: None
Memory  : 3072M   1128 MB/s
Chipset : nVidia nForce2 SSP / FSB : 166 MHz
Settings: RAM : 166 MHz (DDR332) / CAS : 3-3-3-7 / Dual Channel (128 bits)

WallTime   Cached  RsvdMem   MemMap   Cache  ECC  Test  Pass  Errors ECC Errs
---------  ------  -------  --------  -----  ---  ----  ----  ------ --------
 0:10:08    3072M      84K  e820-Std    on   off   Std     0       0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay. I ran Memtest86+ on each stick separately. I also ran the test on each stick in each of the slots. All passed with zero errors. I noticed one difference though. I don't know if it's significant.

In the details window on the "Memory:" line, one of the TwinX sticks shows "875 MB/s" but the other TwinX and the CMX both show "890 MB/s."

I've done some additional testing. I hope this is good news.

I can run using any two of the memory sticks in any two of the slots without locking up.

I am guessing that this means the memory is all good and just my BIOS settings need to be changed. I don't know enough about what setting means or does what. Is this something I should call Technical Support about? Do they help with stuff like this?

:confused:

hello,

having 2 different pairs/versions of ram is not officially supported. there are some workarounds you can try but inevitably you would be better off with 2x2G sticks on that board IMHO.

it seems from the tests that your sticks all function by themselves but just dont seem to play nice with each other.

sorry for your frustration and good luck!

Thank you for helping me. I can't do a 2GB stick. This motherboard has a max of 1GB per stick.

So by "different pairs" do you mean the TWINX and CMX are different? I thought they were the same just that the TWINX are two sticks tested to work together, which is why I got them to use in the two slots that are designed for providing dual channel mode. I really don't understand.

I suspected the version may have been the problem but it doesn't appear to be. That's the LOT number, correct? I can pair up either TWINX and the CMX without problem. If they aren't going to work together wouldn't they not work all of the time? Oh this is so confusing.

• Corsair Employees

You cannot run the memory out of sync with that MB, please try it with just one set that matches with these settings.

BIOS settings: (bolded items are modified from default)

System Performance: Disabled/Auto

CPU Interface: Optimal

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: DDR333/166 Mhz

SDRAM RAS to CAS: 2.5

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

FSB Spread Spectrum: 0.50%

AGP Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Vcore Setting: Auto

CPU Vcore: 1.650V

Graphics Aperture Size: 128MB

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7V

Any setting not listed just leave at BIOS default so load setup defaults before you make the changes.

I made the BIOS changes as you indicated but with some exceptions.

System Performance has to be set to "User Defined" in order to get a menu in Memory Frequency to pick a percentage.

Memory Timing also has to be set to "User Defined" in order to change the SDRAM options.

SDRAM RAS to CAS options are whole numbers only. I tried "2" but the system kept rebooting when Windows would try to load. So I set it to "3" and it's working.

FSB Spread Spectrum is grayed out and shows "Disabled."

I put the TWINX sticks into slots 2 & 3 and the computer ran okay but video intense things didn't want to work very well. Windows Movie Maker would freeze up after a while. Media Player would go to black but sound still worked.

I put the TWINX sticks into slots 1 & 3 and the computer ran okay and I haven't seen any video problems. *crosses fingers and knocks on wood*

• Corsair Employees

Sorry about that the settings should be:

System Performance: User Define

CPU Interface: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: DDR333/166 Mhz

SDRAM RAS to CAS: 3

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

Memory Voltage 2.75 Volts it's likely 2.7 Volts will be the setting its been to long since I have played with that MB

its been to long since I have played with that MB

Yes, this motherboard is pretty "old" and I very much appreciate you and Wired helping me.

I've set everything as you specified. The Memory Voltage options are 2.6, 2.7 and 2,8. I set it to 2.7. The only setting I had to do different is the CPU Interface. My options are "Optimal" (Use most stable CPU/FSB parameters) or "Aggressive" (Use overclocked CPU/FSB parameters) so I left it at Optimal.

I ran a bunch of programs and nothing froze or crashed. The OS seems to be running smoothly.

But I haven't put in the third stick of RAM yet. Oh dear, was I supposed to be doing this with all three in? I'm sorry, I thought what you meant when you said "try it with just one set that matches" was to leave out the single CMX at this stage. I'll put the CMX into the empty slot and see how it runs.

Right now the computer boots up fine. It seems to loading Windows faster than it used to. I don't have any timers testing it but it feels like it is faster.

Once Windows and startup apps were fully loaded I tried all sorts of programs and ran a bunch all at once. Nothing locked up. I even went into buggy Movie Maker and did things that used to always lock it up before when I was running on just the 1 GB (2 x CMX512-2700C2) but the program kept chugging along and responding quite nicely.

Thank you so much for getting my computer working.

Just in case the computer starts to misbehave once I settle back into my normal routine of things, how do I set the speed to PC-2100? I'm sorry to be so clueless about this.

• Corsair Employees
If you get to that the memory frequency would be set to 83% if I remember correctly, but try it first. And I would just use two matching modules adding a thrid Gig would make no difference.

If you get to that the memory frequency would be set to 83% if I remember correctly, but try it first. And I would just use two matching modules adding a thrid Gig would make no difference.

By that are you saying 3 gig is no better than 2 on my motherboard? If so then I've wasted 35 dollars because this RAM is non-returnable.

To make things worse, tonight I booted up the computer and got a BIOS POST error.

Voice: "No keyboard detected."

Onscreen: "Keyboard error or no keyboard present"

I powered off the computer and removed the CMX stick and powered on the computer.

BIOS POST error:

Voice: "No keyboard detected"

Voice: "System failed due to CPU overclocking"

Onscreen: the same keyboard error as before

I also notice on the screen: "Memory Frequency is at 100 MHz , Dual Channel mode"

I haven't changed anything. And I'm very confused, moreso than before. Is this to do with the RAM or do I now need to find help from someone at Asus?

I've had Corsair RAM in this computer from day one (2 sticks of CMX512) and I was very confident about upgrading to the full amount of the motherboard and staying with Corsair and since I'm not trying to overclock, that all I want is a stable computer, this would all work. I'm sorry, but I'm feeling very defeated by all of this.

• Corsair Employees

I would suggest calling in to our support and we can help you.

But if you are getting an error on the KB check the connection make sure it is plugged in. But if you reset the MB before it completes a post or boot it will come up in BIOS safe mode so that is normal.

Archived