Corsair Community

TX750W - Powers on half-way after momentary shutdown

N0cturnal

Hi everyone, I need some troubleshooting help with my 3 week old TX750 PSU.

About 3 weeks ago I built a new system. All parts purchased from newegg.com which I have listed under my profile.

My Problem:

The problem I am having and have had since I have installed the TX750 PSU is that whenever I shutdown my computer momentarily, wait a few seconds and then fire it back up, it only powers the components up half-way or not at all. For example, all case fans including heat sink fans and PSU fan will turn on, but there is no power to the graphics card or its cooling fan, hence no monitor display and then the mother board powers up half-way with 3 L.E.D's and no post code LCD or on board power button with green L.E.D, but the on board reset button with orange L.E.D will light up way brighter than it should.

Now when this happens I have to cut the power off by the switch on the back of the power supply because it will not shutdown via the case power button. I then have to wait sometimes 5-10 minutes or longer before it will power up normally and stay running until I shut it down again momentarily and then turn it back on to see if it will power back up normally, but again it will only power up half-way.

Here's what I have tried:

I have tried the simple functionality test on the power supply with the jumper wire from the green to black wire on the main connector with a couple of fans and a drive hooked up without any problems.

Next I removed the motherboard from the case and laid it on a non-conductive surface with 1 stick of ram along with the graphics card and the power supply plugged into the motherboard and the graphics card. I then power it up and let it run for 15 minutes, shut it down for a few seconds and then powered it back up with the same results, as if it were still in the case with half power. I also tried removing the graphics card from the motherboard with same results. But the only thing that I saw differently was that the power supply turned on and off in a loop every 2 seconds until I shut if off by the switch.

I have ran memtest and prime 95 which passed all tests.

The only thing that I have not looked at is a possible grounding issue with the heat sink bracket, other than that I do not have another system to test this power supply in.

From general observation it seems that when the system is cold it powers up just fine, but it’s only when the system has been running for a while and I shut down for a few seconds and power back up it will only power up half-way.

I am out of ideas and any input or help would be greatly appreciated! :):

Thanks,

N0cturnal

• Corsair Employees

Without another system to test some components in it may be difficult to isolate the issue. I can not think of anything that could fail within the PSU that would cause the issues that you are having with the system but anything is possible. I would make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard and then load setup defaults just to be sure there isn't a glitch having to do with the BIOS/settings.

If all else fails and you would like to rule out the PSU completely then we can try replacing it for you. Just use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived