Corsair Community

I need details about flash drives' speed

HeIsTHighlander

I'm interesting in the next four drives: Voyager GT 8Gb, Voyager GT 16Gb, Survivor GT 8Gb, Survivor GT 16Gb.

I have no way to test them myself because I have no these drives.

I want to know the next characteristics using program like Total Commander with default settings or Windows Explorer:

1) Sustained transfer speed while copying big file from flash;

2) Sustained transfer speed while copying big file to flash;

3) How much short files (1 byte, for example) can be copied from flash during 1 second or minute;

4) How much short files (1 byte, for example) can be copied to flash during 1 second or minute.

Guys, can you help me please?

P.S. Actually you will help not only to me, but also to some my friends and clients who need my advice what flash drive to buy :)

I am sorry but drive performance spec's are not published and not available for any of our flash drives..

Please, understand me. I want to know what to buy.

Well, I think concrete information is interesting for many advanced users. Maybe someone on this forum can test some or all of listed above drives?

Well, of course I've seen "Questions about speed of the 16GB Voyager GT".

The 16GB GT products are based on Samsung’s fastest MLC chips, and use the fastest controller we could get (currently from SMI). The speeds are 30-31 MB/s reads, and 16-17 MB/s writes.

Topic's name points to Voyager GT only. So what "GT products" mean? Can I be sure that analogical Survivor GT & Voyager GT (for ex., 16 Gb) have same speeds?

we will not substitute any other flash in this device. This is what the “GT” on this drive guarantees.
- on one hand,

This offer applies only to those who purchased 16GB Voyager GT or Survivor GT drives before March 31st, 2008.
- on the other hand.

Sorry for my question, maybe I'm misunderstanding because of my bad English - but what does it means? Are modern Voyager GT 16Gb & Survivor GT 16Gb not slower than "purchased before March 31st, 2008", or not?

RAM GUY, please, try to understand me. I've read much reviews, most of them were about 8 Gb drives or less - 8Gb drives may be based on SLC chips. Also I've read a pair of reviews about 16Gb drives - but they're old, and I'm not sure they're applicable to recently manufactured drives. All I want to know is:

1) Does modern Voyager GT 16Gb & Survivor GT 16Gb have identical flash chips, controller & controller settings (which results in identical speeds) ?

2) What are these speeds for reading & writing for small and big files?

Dear RAM GUY, is it too hard for you to answer these simple questions? All I want is to buy exactly what I need.

Thanks! After SD Format, copy-to-flash sustained speed became 18Mb/sec. But if I'm pressing "flip removable bit" using "BootIt.exe" (lexar usb format), speed falls down to 10 Mb/sec.

I've checked - if my flash is removable, write speed is 18Mb/sec, if it isn't - 10.

Can anybody tell me what's the reason?

Now, let's think my flash is removable, and just has been formatted by SD formatter. If I'm formatting it with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (quick format, copy system files), it's still removable, but writing speed is 10 Mb/sec.

Anybody has any ideas? I'll try to play with cluster size.

• Corsair Employees
The utility you mentioned may or may not work with our drives and I am sorry I have no information to suggest it would have any affect on performance. However, on one of my personal drives I noticed the performance drop slightly when I made it boot able with a Win98 Boot Disk. so that may be normal.

Thank you, Ram Guy.

Speeds. Tested on USB controller integrated to southbridge NF570 SLI on motherboard Abit KN9 SLI under Win XP Pro SP3, measured by Total Commander, write cache disabled in windows as usual (i.e. by defaults). Both flash drives were formatted by Panasonic SD Format (FAT32). When I've just opened it's box, it showed high write speed, but only one time. I.e. write write cinema, erase, then write again - speed was much lower.

Between every read from flash test, the flash drive has been reinserted in order to invalidate Windows buffer.

Voyager GT 16 Gb, bought two days ago.

Copy big (~1Gb) file to flash: >18.5Mb/sec.

Copy big (~1Gb) file from flash: >27.5Mb/sec.

Copy 150 small (1 byte) files to flash: 25 seconds.

Copy 150 small (1 byte) files from flash: <1 seconds.

Voayger 16Gb, bought ~8 Months ago:

Copy big (~1Gb) file to flash: >15Mb/sec (first seconds was much lower - on GT I've seen sometimes the same).

Copy big (~1Gb) file from flash: >21.5Mb/sec.

Copy 150 small (1 byte) files to flash: 7 seconds (faster??? maybe that's because Voyager is empty, and voyaget gt has much data?).

Copy 150 small (1 byte) files from flash: <1 seconds.

Hello RamGuy!

I bought a GT 16GB yesterday. I have realised that in case of writing it is very slow. I read the posts in this forum and I tried to format it with sdfv2003. I made a full and a quick format several times. I checked the speed with HD-Bench. Here are some results:

Read 30759 30188

Write 10485 14637

File C. 2654 2577

I think reading speed is ok, but writing is disappointing. Corsair wrote 28MB/s writing speed, in tests I read about 22. Max speed I tested was 15. It really makes me sad.:[pouts:

Any idea?

That's right. But to be sure I make more tests:

Read 31124 30430 30117 29766 30331 30335 30338 30380 30165

Write 6683 9428 11910 12647 13708 15291 15499 15365 15494

File C 1958 1889 1856 1856 2212 1967 2194 1839 1856

File S 10M 20M 40M 50M 100M 200M 500M 1000M 2000M

When I tried to copy a CD image till 50% the range was about 15MB/s, but at 98% 2MB/s and at the end 1,02MB/s.

Do you need any more test? Please tell me how I can help You!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived