Corsair Community

Difference between RAM versions?

hockysa

Hey guys, I have 3 pairs of 2GB kits(2x1GB, 6GB in total) corsair dominators. two pairs are version 4.1 and one pair verison 1.6

background

I initially had 2GB 2 years ago and recently bought 2 pairs of 2GB kits with the fan.

The 4x1GB of RAM with the fans were purchased second hand with one pair faulty which was RMA'd and replaced with ver1.6

So the 2x2GBKits purchased were 2 different versions and it just happens that one pair (the old pair) matches my old one.

and one pair recently got RMA'd and they are version 1.6 (which strikes me as odd as ver4.1 would logically be the later version.)

*note if it makes a difference the pair I RMA'd was version 1.5

So my question is

What exactly were the changes in the versions and would it affect the overclockability of the ram?

As I'm giving one pair away to my bother so im wondering which pair I should keep...

Should I keep the newer pair

or

Should I keep the pair with the matching version

???

Regards,

Benjamin

So my question is

What exactly were the changes in the versions and would it affect the overclockability of the ram?

As I'm giving one pair away to my bother so im wondering which pair I should keep...

Should I keep the newer pair

or

Should I keep the pair with the matching version

???

Regards,

Benjamin

Wired is correct. If you are going to run 4 modules on the same board, keep the matching revisions for sure.

As far as changes, most likely the only change is the IC used on the module. You can check our listing in the ENTHUSIAST section if you want to see more info on the ICs.

In your specific case, and especially if you use 4 modules, OCability will be limited more by your memory controller due to the load of 4 modules vs 2.

Archived