Corsair Community

upgrade my memory to 8 gigs

clavo

I too want to upgrade my memory to 8 gigs ( I have 4 gigs now). I haven't done it yet so don't know if my system will not load. It sounds like it might not if others are having the same issues.

1. Is there a way to up the voltage to keep the frequency at 800 and not 667 ?

2. Is NB/MCH ....the Northbridge and memory control hub (are they actually one in the same) ?

I think there is now way if you use all 4 banks.

I tried much configurations of frequenzy, voltage and all imagineable other options - with no success.

I would say, if you need the 8GB, than you should even upgrade you motherboard to a newer and better one =)

1. Is there a way to up the voltage to keep the frequency at 800 and not 667 ?

2. Is NB/MCH ....the Northbridge and memory control hub (are they actually one in the same) ?

1: Yes you can try and I recommend 1.53v. However, there is no guarantee and it will depend on your individual MOBO.

2. Yes, these are 2 different terms for the same item, the memory controller. Intel calls it the MCH or North Bridge, Nvidia calls it the SPP.

I have a Asus P5N-E SLI (650i)

1. Is the standard default voltage 1.5 for the Northbridge ? And that is up'ed to 1.53 ?

2. Also, is any of the memory voltage changed at all ? Or does it stay the same as is ?

Most of my settings are on ' Auto ' except for memory ( set it for factory specs )

Thanks again for any help on this

Clavo

I have a Asus P5N-E SLI (650i)

1. Is the standard default voltage 1.5 for the Northbridge ? And that is up'ed to 1.53 ?

2. Also, is any of the memory voltage changed at all ? Or does it stay the same as is ?

Most of my settings are on ' Auto ' except for memory ( set it for factory specs )

Thanks again for any help on this

Clavo

1. No, 1.5 is not the default voltage. I don't recall exactly what it was but it's about 1.25v. Consult your manual or look in the BIOS.

2. Since you have not listed your memory or any other specifications in the dropdown menu as requested at registration, I cannot answer this.

I apologize. Your right I didn't but its in there now.

I really can't do any major upgrades my computer (other than a quad core processor) without spending a lot of money. Memory is the easiest way to make an upgrade. Since I have Vista x64 and a Motherboard that supports 8 gigs of memory, that would be the last upgrade for this computer till I get a better and faster model.

The memory timing is 5-5-5-18 and I believe the voltage is 1.8 or 1.9.

I do some Photoshop and having lots of memory makes things load faster as well as loading some other programs. I really don't want to reduce to 667 from 800 for my memory speed. I would like to take full advantage of what my memory is rated at.

1. Will the memory voltage changed at all ? Or does it stay the same as is ?

2. Also, I saw the North bridge readings in the bios so that's something I can change if needed.

Any help you can give me to make my memory work to its full potential would really help me out.

Clavo

Archived