Corsair Community

HX1000 problem maybe?

cmolken

Having problems with the new i7 system I have built. It may not be the power supply. Right now I am getting an odd crash where the video goes completely blank and freezes the entire system. Have tried each card single and the same results. Currently testing these video cards in another system to see if continues to do this. Could it be the power supply? Never had such oddness with a system. Currently the system is running fine with a 8800gt in it single so it doesn't seem to be a motherboard thing. I'm guessing its either power supply or video card.

Okay did some more testing. Works fine using a single 8800GT and working fine with SLI 8800GTS, but minute either one or two of the GTX285 it becomes unstable and crashes the system. The GTX285 however has been running quite a few hours without problems on my old system with the HX620W. Could it be the card isn't getting enough power causing the lock up? The temperatures on the video cards are well within limits.

Decided to test each gtx285 with the spare HX620 I have and not one single lock up at all. Could it be an incompatible with the HX1000 or is the power supply bad? Not sure as the power supply will run a single 8800GT and a SLI 8800GTS

Might not be the power supply at all. With the HX620 the crashes are still happening just less frequently. On the HX1000 the crash rate was about 15 minutes than crash. With the HX620 it would go fine for quite a while, but still happening. I am going to take a guess that it is a problem with the video cards and that the hx1000 is working just fine.

Thanks Specmike. I think I found one problem thanks to the diagram. First gtx 285 is using the hard wire, but the other video card has one connector on 12v1 and the other on 12v2. Though when I do a single GTX285 I still get the green/blue/black screen and then computer lockup. When single GTX285 I use just the hard wired cables. Will test when I get back home to correct the power cables and also try as recommended by someone on evga forums to change the IOH Vcore to 1.550 for SLI gtx285.

Okay changed the cable configuration and still no luck. Even tried just using the modular 6+2 cables on the video cards with the same results. The system completely locks up. I am not sure if it is video card or power supply or motherboard. Changing the IOH vcore did not change much. Notice also after a lock up I have to power the system off using the power button. The reset button does not seem to let the computer boot back up.

• Corsair Employees

Also make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard. If all else fails and you would like to rule out the PSU then we can try replacing it for you. Just use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Since you do not have problems using the HX1000 with the other cards I would suspect that the problem may be between the motherboard and the GTX285s but you may want to contact the video card manufacturer to see if they can help you rule that out.

Thanks Ramguy. I'm pretty sure it is not the power supply. I started the RMA process on my video cards. The power supply seems very stable. I have flashed the bios to the latest and reset all to defaults. At this time I will hold onto not RMA'ing the power supply. The only odd thing I found was the GTX285 even though it did eventually crash was a bit more stable using the HX620 I have as backup. So not sure. I'm trying the video cards first just in case it happens to be a bad batch of those cards.

Thanks again Ramguy. Finally figured out the problem. It truely was the video card. The video cards are factory overclocked and when I under clocked them they became stable. No need for a power supply rma at all. Thing is working as intended and very well at that. Keep up with the good products and excellent support!

• Corsair Employees
Thanks again Ramguy. Finally figured out the problem. It truely was the video card. The video cards are factory overclocked and when I under clocked them they became stable. No need for a power supply rma at all. Thing is working as intended and very well at that. Keep up with the good products and excellent support!

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you found the problem!

Archived