Corsair Community

v2.1 TRr3X6G1600C8D 1.6v max

Good day:) Been trying to overclock my tr3x6g1600c8d to just 1688mhz so I can run my 920 at (19x211) with my dram divider at 12. Would have wanted to run at 200x20 but I have one of those processors that hate the 20 multi. Running at 21x191 currently with ram at 8-8-8-24 @ 1.59v

Been trying different configurations to get 1688mhz to no avail. I relaxed the timings, manually punched in the xmp profile, even tried raising the voltage. Here's where my issues start, If i raise the vdimm above 1.6v, the ram gets flakey. Ive done tests on it with memtest 2.11 with different vtt voltages and I cant get it stable. Below 1.6v tho, I can even run the ram @ 8-8-8-24 1T with only 1.28 vtt, 1650mhz max. I used a digital multimeter to make sure i get accurate readings and its confirmed, anything above 1.6vdimm is no go.

So read around and I stumbled upon a review by xbit labs and found that I have similar results as they did. Here's the link:http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/corsair-ddr3-1600_5.html#sect1

I can only get my ram to around 1650-1660mhz. Ultimately I understand that everything is within advertised specs. Im just a bit saddened that other lower quality rams are running 1700mhz+ albeit, looser timings. This is my first set of Dominators and it was a bit tough to aquire them(had a friend buy em in the states and shipped via boat, 2months wait). I really believe in this product and still do. Hope there's any advice to help me in my situation.

Hi,

I wouldn't think it was the RAM that is causing this problem, if it is running at its rated speed with less than 1.65v, then I would think it is something else that is causing the problems, and not the RAM modules...

I have read reviews for this RAM (I have the same modules) where the reviewers had the 1600MHz stuff running past 1800MHz without any issues, and they even said that there was room for more overclocking in them yet...

I would be quite happy if my system would run my RAM @ 1600MHz with the same voltages as you!!!

Have you tried upping the QPI/VTT voltage in the BIOS to see if that helps any??

As you probably already know, enabling the XMP profile raises the DRAM voltage to 1.65v and the QPI voltage to 1.35v...

I have to raise my QPI voltage up one increment in the BIOS from 1.35v to 1.355v before my i7 rig is stable... give it a shot...

RAMGUY suggested that I tried raising it to 1.6v, but Intel say the highest this setting should be for longterm use is 1.35v... However, i noticed that a lot of the high end RAM running @ 2000MHz actually set the QPI voltage to 1.6v when the XMP profile is enabled... and I am sure the manufacturers of these modules will know exactly what they are doing, and they wouldn't set the voltages that high unless they knew it was safe practice...

Try upping the QPI one step at a time and then test for stability...

::edit::

I forgot to say, why don't you just have your RAM divider at 10 instead of 12??

A lot of people will underclock their RAM a little bit in order to push their processors further, I mean you aren't really going to notice any difference in performance by having your ~RAM running a few 100Mhz lower... I dont really notice much of a difference going from 1333MHz to 1600MHz....

I have read reviews for this RAM (I have the same modules) where the reviewers had the 1600MHz stuff running past 1800MHz without any issues, and they even said that there was room for more overclocking in them yet...

I would be quite happy if my system would run my RAM @ 1600MHz with the same voltages as you!!!

Have you tried upping the QPI/VTT voltage in the BIOS to see if that helps any??

As you probably already know, enabling the XMP profile raises the DRAM voltage to 1.65v and the QPI voltage to 1.35v...

I have to raise my QPI voltage up one increment in the BIOS from 1.35v to 1.355v before my i7 rig is stable... give it a shot...

RAMGUY suggested that I tried raising it to 1.6v, but Intel say the highest this setting should be for longterm use is 1.35v... However, i noticed that a lot of the high end RAM running @ 2000MHz actually set the QPI voltage to 1.6v when the XMP profile is enabled... and I am sure the manufacturers of these modules will know exactly what they are doing, and they wouldn't set the voltages that high unless they knew it was safe practice...

Try upping the QPI one step at a time and then test for stability...

::edit::

I forgot to say, why don't you just have your RAM divider at 10 instead of 12??

A lot of people will underclock their RAM a little bit in order to push their processors further, I mean you aren't really going to notice any difference in performance by having your ~RAM running a few 100Mhz lower... I dont really notice much of a difference going from 1333MHz to 1600MHz....

Thats why Im asking around why I cant even get a measly 90mhz overclock. Secondly, yes I tried raising the vtt voltage from 1.24v up to 1.55v and nothing.

BTW, about the 12 divider, thank you for pointing that out. I got so confused with my 2 weeks of testing that I screwed up what I meant. I used the 12 multi when I ran the processor at default: 134(bclk)x12(ram divider)=1600mhz to test just the ram.

What Im trying to achieve is 211(bclk)x8(ram divider)=1688mhz.

Im running @ 191(bclk)x8(ram divider)=1528mhz currently.

I just felt that maybe a 90mhz overclock was the sweet spot for me. I said it in my first post and I'll say it again, I understand that everything Corsair promised with their product, I got. So I guess I cant really complain about it. But to read reviews of sticks reaching 1800mhz and other brands reaching 1700mhz easy, Im a bit dissapointed when I could have just bought something locally and cheaper.

Archived