Corsair Community

Brand new Corsair HX1000 went POP.... killed 2 casing fans

danchen

just bought a new Corsair HX1000 PSU , plugged it into my system (previously using a Silverstone ST650F without any problem).

power on, and a loud pop sound suddenly comes out from the CPU.

I thought: "****... there goes my PC."

But surprisingly, my PC proceeded to continue booting up like nothing happened.

I even let it run for 2 hours just to confirm that the PSU is not spoilt.

I also shutdown the main switch and re-did cold boots twice.

however, I realise that 2 of my 120mm fans (plugged into my motherboard) are now dead. The CPU fan, GPU fan, and the 3 x 230mm fans on the casing are still working. All fans were working fine before I installed this HX1000.

What do I do ? the PSU works. On the other hand, it killed 2 of my casing fans.

question 1

Anyway to "claim damages" from Corsair to my 2 fans ? They were Coolermaster 120mm casing fans and were actually quite new...

I'm pissed that I'll have to replace them.

Question 2

Does the POP sound indicate anything serious, or is it a one-time thing ?

Any risk to my motherboard & other components ?

Is there any need to RMA ?

Question 3

Is there anyway to see if there's anything wrong with the PSU ?

• Corsair Employees

question 1

Anyway to "claim damages" from Corsair to my 2 fans ? They were Coolermaster 120mm casing fans and were actually quite new...

I'm pissed that I'll have to replace them.

Unfortunately our warranty would only cover our own products. Honestly if the only fans that failed were the ones connected directly to the motherboard then the PSU may or may not have been responsible for it. The motherboard regulates the voltage coming from the PSU and then distributes it to the components on the motherboard. If the PSU were to go out of spec and give more volts/amps than it should through any rail, then it should trip the overvoltage protection circuit in the PSU and shut itself off to prevent any damage. Most boards will also pick this up and tell the PSU to power down if anything abnormal is detected. From what you describe the problem could be either the motherboard or the PSU.

Question 2

Does the POP sound indicate anything serious, or is it a one-time thing ?

Any risk to my motherboard & other components ?

Is there any need to RMA ?

If the pop came from the PSU then I would get it replaced just to be on the safe side. To have the unit replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Question 3

Is there anyway to see if there's anything wrong with the PSU ?

If you either have a digital multimeter, or a PSU tester then you should be able to make sure that the rails are within spec. Other than that you may want to do a visual inspection and see if anything on the board or PSU looks burnt or fried.

Archived