Corsair Community

Memory Compatibility versus Faulty Memory

larrymcg

My system specs are listed above but the relevant info is an ASUS A7N8X2.0 mobo with 256MB Samsung and 256MB Zerox PC2700 modules in slots 1 and 2. All settings are stock. Been running fine for over 5 years.

I just tried adding a 1GB module (Corsair VS1GB333) in slot 3. Booted up the first time and ran fine for a day and then I got a Firefox crash (highly unusual). So I decided to run Memtest-86. After a few minutes it showed 8 errors (tests 3 and 5) so I restarted the test and it showed the exact same errors at the same addresses and with the same bit errors.

Is it reasonable to think this is NOT a compatibility error situation because the memtest failures are repeatable? In which case the memory module may be faulty?

--Larry

I tested with only the Corsair 1GB module installed. And it was installed in a different slot this time (slot 1 versus slot 3). Booted fine but memtest showed the same errors at the same addresses (relative to the module) as when all 3 modules were installed.

So, for sure I'm going to return the memory module but

I'm wondering if it is worth it to try a replacement module.

If I was pretty sure that it was a faulty module then I'd try for sure.

If it is compatibility related then another module would be a problem too.

Or maybe there is a Corsair module with higher quality than the VS (ValueSelect)?

Suggestions?

--Larry

In the face of no additional info, I bravely exchanged the memory module for an identical one. Wahoo! It works fine and passes memtest-86.

I have to say that I'm just a bit disappointed that my very first purchase of a Corsair memory turned out to be a faulty module. I'll keep trying in the future since I think Corsair has a good reputation.

--Larry (there's nothing as cheap as more memory to speed things up!) :biggrin:

Archived