Corsair Community

K8V SE Deluxe AMD64 3200+ Use CMX1024-3200PRO/LL or Twinx1024-3200pro/LL

Tomar McGregor

I am building a new system to replace my aging AMD 1100. I want to use the ASUS K8V SE Deluxe with AMD64 3200+ chip. Ive read alot of messages on this board recommending Twinx1024-3200LL with certain settings and voltages. I would like to know if its better to use that or just one stick of CMX1024-3200PRO or LL. After reading several benchmarks it shows that adding more sticks of ram actually reduces the speed at which they work. Also I read that RAMGUY says to just use the Deluxe model but I cant seem to find it from any of the vendors I normally shop with. They all only have the SE version. RAMGUY since the bios patch you think the SE is an ok model or should I look elsewhere for the standard Deluxe one? Thank you very much in advance. Your customer support is the greatest. Keep up the great work!! :o: JT

• Corsair Employees
Weather or not you get the Pro version is your choice. In addition, I would go ahead and get the Twinx1024-3200LL. I don’t think the problems I have seen with this MB are anything that will not be addressed with a new bios. So at worst you may have to set the timings manually to a more relaxed setting till the MB and Bios matures a bit.

• Corsair Employees
K8V Deluxe is what I would suggest. However the SE version is basically the same just a newer version with a few added or different options. In addition, it should run the same. But the bios is not mature with the SE version. As I said, ASUS I am sure will release a new bios and should perform exactly like the K8V deluxe. I would suggest Twinx1024-3200LL with either model!

Very good. I like using newegg for most of my purchases because of the great customer support. They only carry the SE which I assume means second edition. Also I will get the twinx 1024 LL. Ive seen you recommend several different settings for the ram. Im new to the manual timings for it. So if you could give me again the specs you would use i would be grateful. I know you said 2.7V. some spots you said use 2,3,3,6 in others you said 2,3,2,6 (i think). Rather confused about it. Thanks again. JT

I have the SE version of the board. I think the 1001 bios is roughly the same as the non SE 1005 bios which is latest, i cant remember but i think the SE addresses the bad capacitor issue, has support for CG revision of the block, and is just tweaked. But hell yeah its not fully mature yet but its a damn fine choice. As for timings go for 2.7V 2.5-3-3-6 to make sure everything is seated ok and working, if no problems start tuning them down at least that way u will know straight away if you have ram config problems rather than a timing issue. Rob

well my Ram is on the way back from you guys now, so once i have it all back in and sorted ill be sure to post and let u know how its going. At the moment ive got some borrowed cheapo ram in, but i tested long time with the 3200C2 v2.2 before it went back. nothing wrong with either stick just the v1.1 wouldnt run at 200FSB because of its SPD. sorry to see them go actaully, some lucky bugger will get them i suppose, they ran 2-2-2-5 dual channel. Rob

Hello All, I have the K8V Deluxe, Twinx1024-3200LL & an Athlon 64 3400+. When building this box I pulled my hair out on the first install, setting the timings set to 2-3-2-6, the rest on Auto. After several Blue screens of death I started over thinking my problems may be related to my first attempt at setting up a Sata boot drive. After a second attempt at the OS, I payed attention to the blue screen errors which seemed to relate to memory. I then set all the timings to Auto and was able to get an OS up, but still had some issues including unprompted restarts, corrupted files copied across the network & IE Crashes. Then I visited this forum for the first time in a while & started reading. I kept seeing "set voltage to 2.7 volts. I set my timings back to 2-3-2-6 and set the voltage to 2.7. This was about 3 days ago & no more crashes, etc. I have only had 2 problems which puzzle me. 1) While attempting to install a very cheap program (Printmaster), it errors out midway while copying files, something to the effect "Can't load certain file" and when dialog box is closed, I get a memory instruction error. Installs fine on other machines. 2) Also when closing another program, can't remember exactly which one, I get the same memory error. I since have read in this thread about using bank 1 & 3 instead of 1 & 2 and have made that change but not tested the 2 remaining problems yet. Sorry for not doing this before posting. I would like to ask how to set the rest of the settings on the memory page in CMOS which I have set to Auto, & is 2.8 a no-no? I feel I am real close to having this just right but lack the expertise of the RAM GUY. BTW, I went from a XP 3200+ with the same memory & GA-7N400 Pro. This machine runs circles around the old one which I still have. It's now a backup machine. LOL :eek:

can you set it to 2.8 in your bios? the SE only goes up to 2.7, 2.8 is the maximum covered by the warranty so using that would be fine, DO NOT go above it, its not worth losing a lifetime warranty. tell me did you reinstall the operating system and everything since setting the Dram voltage to 2.7 and setting everything to auto? ok neally there :sunglasse does the machine in current config pass at least four passes of memtest? what timings appear in CPU-Z ([url]http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php[/url]) in the memory page when all is set to auto? sorry for the questions but im curious, ive posted in another thread on this forum about my finding the auto settings to out perform lower manual settings, if you want to try for yourself download AIDA32 and use the read and write benchamarks before and after tweaking the bios. and yes this setup runs rings round my old XP2400 running at 2.1Ghz with a 190FSB. Rob

With Memtest86+ all tests passed with no errors. With CPU-Z the memory timings are as follows: Frequency > 200.3 MHz FSB:DRAM > CPU/11 CAS# Latency > 2.0 clocks RAS# to CAS# Delay > 3 clocks RAS# Precharge > 2 clocks Cycle Time (Tras) > 6 clocks Bank Cycle Time (Trc) > 11 clocks DRAM Idle Timer > 16 clocks Total CAS# (tRDRAM) > Grayed Row to Column (tRCD) > Grayed I am still curious about the memory settings in CMOS other than 2-3-2-6. I am also running the memory in the standard mode & not Turbo. May give that a try. May need to be ECC for that.

well those timings are perfect so i wouldnt mess with them, and they pass memtest, yes this board does have a lot of options, but ive found Auto settings to be VERY good. as for your other problems, if the OS has been installed since you fixed the memory problem, and so have the other programs, then the fact that your passing memtest ( at least 4 passes would be recommended ) then i think your problem lies elsewhere. your not using some sort of tweaking program are you? i use cachemanxp and its very good, but i remember someone having software problems with a certain tweak enabled. maybe something down this road be causing the problems your experiancing. cant think of anything else right now, so enjoy that sweet ram and play some games :) Rob

Hi Guys, Some Asus K8V Deluxe have problems with the connectors. Look here: [url]http://www.asus.com.tw/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=85257[/url] That's why Asus did the SE. I would like to buy the Athlon64 3400+ processor, Revision "CG" with Asus K8V-SE Deluxe: [url]http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=533&s=1[/url] but i'm trying to understand which memories permit to use all the 3 slots on the motherboard. It's a single channel technology and i would like to have a system that will permit to add new ram (a third 512MB bank ). I think 1 GB is enough for today but it won't for the videogames we'll find next 1-2 years. I would like to have 2-3-2-6 timings. Is it possible to use all the three slots with 3 CMX512-3200LL/C2 or, with different cas timings, some TWINX2048?... Thanks for your help P.S. Hey Modifyd, how many Memtest/hours have you done? (Before saying it's all ok you have to test the system for 24 hours no stop) Please tell me the final result... :):

Ricky: If you want to run at DDR 400 then im affriad you can only use 2 slots on this board if you want to use 512MB sticks (does anyone make single sided 512MB sticks?) Basically it will allow 2 double sided Dimms at DDR400. If you want to use all three slots then with single sided Dimms you can run at a maximum of DDR333 going down to DDR200 with Double Sided. If you want more than a Gig of Ram your looking at a hefty bill for two DDR400 1GB sticks. As for future proofing, if a game needs more than that i think you will be buying DDR-2 by then, so save some money for that :sunglasse Just my two peneth (yes im british) Rob

interesting i just read the links you posted, i heard the CG would have better memory compatability but the only other thing i heard was that it didnt have an Intergrated Heat Spreader, maybe it was just pre-production ones. Anyway to clarify this point e-mail Asus direct and take only their answer, i wouldnt like to shell out all the money to find it doesnt work. And the SE version had bad CAPACITORS not connectors. Rob

[quote name='Robolf']interesting i just read the links you posted, i heard the CG would have better memory compatability but the only other thing i heard was that it didnt have an Intergrated Heat Spreader, maybe it was just pre-production ones. And the SE version had bad CAPACITORS not connectors. Rob[/QUOTE] Yes sorry Capacitors in English... "Condensatori" in Italian. The A64 3400+ "CG" version has the Intergrated Heat Spreader, the new one. May i use two 1 GB banks in the slots? Will i have 400MHz too? RamGuy, what do you suggest? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I tried the TWINX2048-3200PT with the ASUS K8V Deluxe and got terrible performace (many blue screens due to memory management errors). I tried 3-3-3-8 latency (DDR 400 @ 200MHz and DDR333 @100MHz) as well as the AUTO 3-4-4-8 (DDR 400 @ 200MHz and DDR333 @100MHz). These all failed. Any recommendations?

Archived