Corsair Community

Should I enable Vista "write caching" for P256?

mkanet

I'm hearing conflicting information when doing searches on Google about write caching. Some people say to disable write caching for SSDs; as it's counter productive. Some people enable it just like they would with a regular HDD.

Either way, I'm not able to enable write caching under Vista, it says the driver wont allow me to do this.

Could someone who knows what they are talking about give me a definitive answer?

Thanks!

Is that why my Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller driver doesnt allow me to enable it?

Even though my check box is unchecked for write caching, it looks like the registry value shows it as enabled. Could you please verify what the correct values should be set for the following two settings? Do you might checking really quick?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\IDE\DiskCORSAIR_CMFSSD-256GBG2D_VBM1801Q\4&d4cb429&0&0.0.0\Device Parameters\Disk]

"CacheIsPowerProtected"=dword:00000000

"UserWriteCacheSetting"=dword:00000001

Thanks for all your help Ramguy

• Corsair Employees
Check with what, just use the default settings and by default with our SSD drives Write Cache will be disabled. Now if you are using them in a Raid controller ot nonstandard controller that controller may have other settings but that would not be on the drive it self

I dont think my registry settings are right; which is why I ask you to check against yours. It's not that hard to do. I'm using a very standard Intel controller without raiding. I just want to know what the correct registry settings are respective to unchecked write-cache setting. It should be the same on XP/Vista.

Check with what, just use the default settings and by default with our SSD drives Write Cache will be disabled. Now if you are using them in a Raid controller ot nonstandard controller that controller may have other settings but that would not be on the drive it self

from my tests right now its very not recommended to turn the Write cache default option off as that means the 32MB(S128) or 128MB(P256) cache is no longer been used and in turn saves directly to the flash (the SSD must or should obay the caching option in windows as if not when pc shuts down windows expects that all data has been saved, so data could be loss if the cache is still on the SSD when windows has it set off)

as well as there was delays in programs opening (like 1 second where as it norm does it right away)

the second option in windows vista or win 7 just lets the SSD or HDD decide when to write the data can improve performance an little but most likey better off (default) unless you got an UPS powering the pc

on windows 7 the problem with flash pops up in my resource monitor most short actions take 23ms and muti write actions take up to 200-500ms (basicly turns my SSD into an JMicron SSD when write cache is off)

your ICH driver is likey very old or you used the motherboard drivers(that are never updated) just install the matrix driver/program below as you have an ICH 8 or 9 chipset and it will auto turn on once your pc has been rebooted

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2261&DwnldID=17412&strOSs=163&OSFullName=Windows%20Vista*&lang=eng

Thanks Leexgx. I was hoping someone would step in and provide the correct information. Something just didnt sound right with the other guy's answer. You're right, I do have the ICH driver that just comes with Windows. I already downloaded the latest Matrix Manager from Intel; which should have the latest driver for the controller embedded on my mobo.

Thanks again.

from my tests right now its very not recommended to turn the Write cache default option off as that means the 32MB(S128) or 128MB (P256) cache is no longer been used and in turn saves directly to the flash (the SSD must or should obay the cacheing option in windows as if not when pc shuts down it does not delay the pc power down when pc is shut down)

as well as there was delays in programs opening (like 1 second where as it norm does it right away)

the second option in windows vista or win 7 just lets the SSD or HDD decide when to write the data can improve performance an little but most likey better off (default) unless you got an UPS powering the pc

on windows 7 the problem with flash pops up in my resource monitor most short actions take 23ms and muti write actions take up to 200-500ms (basicly turns my SSD into an JMicron SSD when write cache is off)

your ICH driver is likey very old or you used the motherboard drivers(that are never updated) just install the matrix driver/program below as you have an ICH 8 or 9 chipset and it will auto turn on once your pc has been rebooted

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2261&DwnldID=17412&strOSs=163&OSFullName=Windows%20Vista*&lang=eng

have you got it set to AICH, RAID or norm in the bios (AICH is recommended but has to be set to that when windows vista or win7 only is installed do not change it if its not on AICH now as not boot it just loop when it looks for the disks)

have you installed matrix yet or just downloaded it (if useing vista or 7 you do not need to install the Intel chip set driver just the matrix only) not sure if they have updated the Intel chip set drivers latey

The default for my Intel controller's BIOS is RAID. I just left it at that when Windows was installed.

I just downloaded the Intel Matrix Manager. What should I do next to get write back caching to work?

have you got it set to AICH, RAID or norm in the bios (AICH is recommended but has to be set to that when windows vista or win7 only is installed do not change it if its not on AICH now as not boot it just loop when it looks for the disks)

have you installed matrix yet or just downloaded it (if useing vista or 7 you do not need to install the Intel chip set driver just the matrix only) not sure if they have updated the Intel chip set drivers latey

you should now be able to tick that box (first box caching), does it not let you tick it (grayed out or saying it cant be turned on) ? or is it in raid 0 setup now ? what the setup on your pc

as you may be reloading windows due to the other topic you got running set the motherboard to AICH before doing the system restore if your planning on doing it (win7 and vista natively support it and recommend it) once that box is ticked (is auto on by default if it can be) system speed may go up if your system is seeming slow

if you wish i have added my msn to this corsair forum now click on the head below post id in this msg we can talk bit more directly as i need to go out (got google G1 phone so got meebo/msn on that)

I could always ticket that box. It's just not keeping that setting complaning that the driver wont allow this. I'll try to get a hold of you via MSN in a little while. Thanks so much for all your help...

you should now be able to tick that box (first box caching), does it not let you tick it (grayed out or saying it cant be turned on) ? or is it in raid 0 setup now ? what the setup on your pc

if you wish i have added my msn to this corsair forum now click on the head below post id in this msg we can talk bit more directly as i need to go out (got google G1 phone so got meebo/msn on that)

i be back in about 1-2hr but can talk on the move

if your going to be reloading set it to AICH before reloading, if write cache keeps unticking it self its not supporting it for some reson (most likey raid mode in bios and drivers will not turn it on)

I installed the latest Intel Matrix Manager software from Intel's website and rebooted.. that automatically allowed me to use write back caching and even the advanced feature as well. As special thanks to leexgx for his assistance.

• 4 weeks later...

I did some testing with my 2 P256's with write caching. I'm using Intel matrix storage and these were done one after another without restarting.

Details of attached images.

1. Write caching off

2. Write caching on with advanced performance off(I use this setting since I don't have a UPS)

3. Write caching on with advanced performance on

HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___Raid_0_Volume.png.7f8afe038dd1c9e1b8f2dd3b095fdbdc.png

HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___Raid_0_Volumec.png.ae84e45519ef4098006709dd7be2256f.png

HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___Raid_0_Volumece.png.0e999808ad38eda2fd95b122a065a984.png

With any drives that have onboard cache, regardless if ran in a non-raid or raid configuration enabling "write cache" is recommended. In non-raid configurations Vista and Windows 7 will have this feature enabled by default if the drive has on board cache.

"Advance Performance" is really user preference, it will disable write cache flushing. In critical enviroments with no UPS or battery backup on the raid card, I recommend leaving this unchecked.

Here are the current Corsair SSD's that have onboard cache:

P256

P128

S128

the intel ICH also has Writeback cache option it has for more affect then the windows Write cache, (burst speeds go to something very high like 2000-3000MB/s) but there is far more higher chance of data loss

HD tune or tach is not very good for testing performance of SSDs due to the results you are getting the Lower speed in the second and 3rd test is the real speed of the SSD (Free space is the max speed with no data)

what controller is in the M64? not even looked at it i thought all samsung ssds had cache on them 32mb for the S128, P256 for 128MB,

does the P128 have 128mb as well or 64mb

• Corsair Employees
what controller is in the M64?

A: JMicro is what we are using for that drive.

The P128 and P256 are both 2nd Generation Samsung based controllers and the S128 when released was the first generation of Samsung SSD but that is subject to change with out notice.

Archived