Corsair Community

Asus K8N and TWINX2048-3200C2PT

yamo

Hi, I'm pretty now to the whole comp building thing, I tried to upgrade the RAM on my own and its looking ok... Except when i open everest and cpu-z it says the ram is running at 160.8MHz

FSB:DRAM: CPU:5

timings: 2-3-3-6

TRC: 10

CR: 2T

DRAM Idle Timer: 16

soooo its not running at 200MHz and it says the mobo supports it so iono what to do? the voltage is set at 2.7V

edit: CPU-Z is reading the

TYPE: DDR

CHANNELS # Single

Size: 2048 Mbytes

after going into the bios and changing it manually to 200MHz it now reads it as

100.5MHz

CPU/8

2-3-3-6

tRC: 7clocks

2T

DRAM Idle Timer: 16clocks

Type: DDR

Channels # single

Size: 2048

now its operating slower? Maybe I did it wrong, in the bios i can set either 200Mhz being the lowest, to 333 and 400 and i think something else but i forgot. but the lowest is 200 and highest is 400. Voltage in intervals of .1 2.5 being the lowest and 2.8 being the highest

alright, done.

Ive set it to 400Mhz and timings 2-3-3-6 2T

CPU-Z reads

160.8MHz

CPU/5

2-3-3-6

tRC: 10clocks

2T

DRAM Idle Timer: 16clocks

Type: DDR

Channels # single

Size: 2048

I don't really know whats wrong, but it wont go past that 160.8Mhz. I'm not sure if that 40Mhz is gona make a difference, but my computer just feels a bit sluggish.

ummmmm, i don't know if i'm being impatient, but its been over a week since i've received some help I'm still having trouble getting the ram to run at the correct speed when it was running at the 160 they felt really hot so i reset the bios and now its at 157.9Mhz

2-3-3-6

2T

DRAM Idle Timer 16

if anyone can help me with this, or point me somewhere that can. please and thankyou

• 3 weeks later...

I had these problems a year or so ago. When I bought the K8N board four years ago I installed a ******* 512mb module pc3200 cl 2.5 and it ran at full speed. Two years ago I exchanged it for a ******* hprx 1gb pc3200 cl2 and it too worked fine.

Last year I wanted to use the ****in another machine so I installed the original ******* on the K8N and added another one like it. Now the MB booted at 266 (pc2100). Even manually setting the parameters would not go over 333 (pc2700) though this speed runs without problems.

After many support calls I found out that the chipset supports two banks of chips at full speed. This means that it can handle a single-sided 512 MB ******* or a double-sided *******

So what went wrong with the 2x******* configuration? Simple, one was a single sided unit and the other was double-sided = 3 chip banks.

Apparently it has to do with with the chipset not being able to supply enough current for more than two banks of chips at full speed. I've searched in vain for single-sided 1gb units since 2gb units aren't supported.

The chipset does not implement dual-channel memory which means that the board cannot provide it so it isn't available regardless of how you place the memory units.

I hope this helps!

• Corsair Employees
We do not offer single Rank 1.0 Gig modules at that speed grade and if you install more than 2 ranks of memory (IE 2 X single Rank or one double Rank module) DDR333 would be suggested.

Archived