Corsair Community

New RAMBUS, older comp, not booting

themilman

Machine: Compaq Deskpro Pentium 4 (1.7mhz) OS: Win 2000 Existing Memory: 2 sticks of 128mg Samsung 800mhz ECC (128 / 8) 2 Channels, 4 memory Slots, 2 spacers being used. Purchased 1 stick of Corsair 256mb RAMBUS ECC 800mhz (128 / 18) Machine will not boot in any configuration of existing memory sticks, spacers, and new Corsair stick. Machine will not boot with only the new Corsair stick and spacers. I'm assuming this is a compatibility problem with the existing RAM, and/or, I'm not configuring the RAM correctly with the spacers. Thanks!!

RAMBUS memory usually needs to be installed in PAIRS. True, there are some RAMBUS setups that do not need the memory to be installed in pairs, but if you have an older comp with 2 x 128, it's probably needing pairs. What model Compaq do you have?

• Corsair Employees
Wired would be correct that you would need a pair for that memory to work in your system. What is the exact part # of the memory module that you have? If the chip density is different between your original modules and the new ones they may not work even if you get another stick. Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
The module that you have should technically work with the other modules in the system. We can not guarantee compatibility with OEM modules as we do not have access to the specs of those modules. You will need to use all rambus memory in pairs on a I850 series chipset system. Let me know if you have any other problems.

Is it at all possible to return my unused 256mb stick to Corsair in an exchange for two 128mb sticks? I could throw in some cash :) Possibly two of the following?: CM616DR128A-800E 800 MHz 128MB 64Mx16 184 RIMM 16Mx16 CM618DR128A-800 800 MHz 128MB 64Mx18 184 RIMM 32Mx18 Currently my system has two sticks of: Samsung 128 / 8 ECC MR18R0828BN1-CK8Q0 800-45 I purchased your memory from Fry's to upgrade my work computer. If I cannot do a swap, I'll be forced to sell my stick on Ebay and purchase two 128mb sticks. Thanks for your help.

• Corsair Employees
We generally do not do exchanges. This would all need to be taken care of through your reseller. You can contact the RMA department at [email]rma@corsairmemory.com[/email] or [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and see if there is anything we can do. However, since we do not sell direct, we do not have a program in place that would allow the exchange of modules to different part #'s.

Archived