Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400 issue

Drifter73

Around 2 years ago I bought this memory for my PC. I recently decided to up my system from 2GB to 4GB, and went to newegg to see if they still sold the same memory or if I would need to buy either 4 1GB sticks or 2 2GB sticks. Lo and behold, according to my order history, they did stock the same memory, under the same designation on the memory chip of CM2X1024-6400.

I order the memory, receive it, take it out of the package and immediately notice a difference.

The RAM timings are different, as is the voltage.

The RAM I have now is XMS6405v5.1 with timings of 5-5-5-12

The RAM I received is simply 1.90v ver2.3 with timings of 5-5-5-18

My question is this, are these modules even able to be used together?

Currently 2 slots are used, with each containing the current 1GB chips, and the two empty would contain the new 1GB pair.

Considering they're they same model, with difference being timing and voltage (per a prior support request I was advised to set mine to 2.1v), if I were to set both to the same timings/voltage, would that cause a problem? Any help or response is appreciated, thanks.

An update, if it helps any. I checked the memory settings/timings with CPUz 1.51, and it read the chips as 1.8V 5-5-5-18. I went into the BIOS, checked the settings under the advanced menu, and found that indeed it was set for 5-5-5-18, not the 5-5-5-12 printed on the chip label, and that this was the auto detected speed rating. From what the voltage setting was, and based on past research, Gigabyte sets it at 1.8v base, and I was at +0.2, so that would be 2.0v. Putting the new chips in sans old, and reading BIOS/CPUz, they seem to have identical settings. The only notable difference seems to be that the heat sinks are matte (new) instead of glossy (old), and the chips appear to be on one side (new) instead of two (old).

Yup, ran stable for the last 2 years at 2.0v. And I did put them in together, on boot up it reads as 4GB by the BIOS, in dual channel interleave mode.

Lowered voltage to +0.1, or 1.9v, and played both WOW and a few other games, then did a bit of web browsing, no issues so far. I plan on running memtest86+ v2.11 for a bit tomorrow just to make sure there are no RAM issues, but so far so good.

Archived