Corsair Community

Computer restarts and turns off & on every 2 secs

Vinayakupadhya

Hi all!

I have built a new comp ten days back and am facing a weird problem with it since then. The first problem came when I had just assembled it and pressed the power button. It turned on for 2secs and turned off and continued to do so. I didn't even manage to reach the POST. I took every component out and reinstalled them but to no avail. I also dismantled the MOBO from the cabinet and tried starting the comp but the problem persisted. I replaced the RAM with new ones and also tried various combination's including using only one stick. I made sure during each assembly the CPU had an even layer of thermal paste and the heatsink was appropriately fixed. Still didn't work. Then I reset the CMOS and restarted the comp. It again turned off & on 2 to 3 times and finally switched on. I loaded my software's and the comp worked fine for a day then came problem no. 2.

I was working on the comp on the second day and it suddenly restarted as if I had pressed the restart button. Then again off and on went on 3 times like previously faced and it booted. Its working now but I am sure this problem is not entirely solved. Don't know what is causing it to behave like this. I didn't face this problem using the software's in my older comp so its definitely not the software's giving the problem. I believe there is a problem with my VX 550 PSU. Any suggestions?

Please help.

Hello, I am new here, but I think I now which one is your problem since I have had the same problem when I changed my mother board.

My problem was in the cables that go from the fron panel switches to the mother board. Mines were label but when I put them into my board the computer only started for a few seconds.

I solve it by checking the cables again and changing one of them, since the problem was that my computer was entering sleep mode when I just press the start botom. Try to start the system by using a screw driver and making a manual switch into the board.

I hope this helps. Also sorry for my english is not so clear but I hope you understand this.

hi nagonsa! thanks for the reply but that doesnt seem to be the problem since my MOBO has a special diagnostic card that has an on off button too. I've tried the cabinet button as well as the screw driver method and the diagnostic card.

Thanks once again for your suggestion.

Archived