Corsair Community

Ruminating on RAM Options...

Tango

Hulloo, Ram Guy, and ,er, all the other Rams!

Firstly... I'm no technical expert on RAM so please cut me a little slack if I'm not seeing anything fundamentally wrong with the following; but - SPLASH! - here goes...

There's TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX in my machine. ( CAS 7-7-7-20 ) They perform flawlessly with this rig. They're in sockets A2 and B2. I'd like to fully populate the RAM banks to 8GB by topping up sockets A1 and B1 with another lot of the same; however, that particular 2 x 2GB config is no longer available via retail here in New Zealand. Plenty of 2 x 1GB modules to be had, but not 2 x 2GB.

So, I'm wondering about the following 'options'...

a) Could TR3X6G1600C7 be used instead. Assuming that's a goer, I'd be buying one DIMM more than I can use, but a spare DIMM in the computer drawer isn't a bad idea.

Or...

b) Could ******** memory be used. It's another manufacturer, but the modules seem almost a perfect match. The ******** has CAS of 7-7-7-24 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS).

In regard to option a):

The CAS latency of the TR3X6G1600C7 matches the current modules ( CAS 7-7-7-20 ), but, after all, it is RAM designated for the new triple channel systems. Is there anything inherently different about those modules that preclude a couple of them co-existing with the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX?

In regard to option b):

The Asus P5E3 Premium's mobo guide (Page 2-14) says that CAS latencies must be the same, but it only 'recommends' that all modules be from the same vendor. Is CAS 7-7-7-24 so different from CAS 7-7-7-20 that it wipes out option b)?

Just in case it's a factor here: I don't overclock - the entire rig is run at standard.

The following is NOT an advert - it's merely to show you where I'm getting the cut 'n' paste info from that makes me sound more savvy than I really am! :roll: My online retailer of choice here in NZ is http://www.Ascent.co.nz and the above modules are to be found among their DDR3-1600 listings: http://www.ascent.co.nz//Category.aspx?majorcatID=31&minorCatID=249

I'm hoping there's a module on that page that will do the trick, although I'd like to stick with Corsair if I can.

If I'm pissing in a head wind with the above, or if there are any other options that I can't even see, please educate me.

Cheers, Tony McKee (Tango - bloody useless at dancing it, but I can play it on the guitar!)

It's never recommended to mix part numbers, let alone memory from different manufacturers. There's more to memory compatibility than just the timings (e.g. the ICs used, the design of the PCB).

Archived