Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-9136C5D failed again? Or my mobo? Something else?

LCARS

Ramguy,

I have a somewhat complex problem with my computer and I was wondering if you could help.

Back in 2007 I built a new computer. The specs are the same as the ones in my profile except I had an EVGA 680i SLI mobo. Everything worked fine up until December 2008 when I started getting random BSODs and freezing. One day I turned on the computer and it wouldn't boot giving me a "Memory Presence" error. After some testing, I decided that it was my memory and submitted them for an RMA (#1072411). The RMA was accepted and I was sent some new sticks of RAM (TWIN2X2048-9136C5D).

Much to my horror, after inserting the new RAM, I started getting the same "Memory Presence" error. However, this time I could get the computer to boot by inserting just 1 of my DIMMs (didn't matter which one) into slot 0 in the motherboard. Putting more than 1 DIMM in caused the "Memory Presence" error. Putting a DIMM in any slot other than 0 also caused the error. At this point I was sure that my motherboard was faulty and I submitted an RMA for my EVGA 680i. The RMA was accepted and EVGA ended up sending me a 780i SLI motherboard.

I rebuilt the computer with the new 780i motherboard and inserted the new Corsair RAM. As soon as I turned on the computer, it gave me the same "Memory Presence" error. I looked in the BIOS and all of my RAM timings and voltages were correct except the tRAS was set to 18 instead of 15 like the RAM is rated. I bumped the tRAS down to 15 and turned on SLI ready memory in the BIOS with 0% overclock.

After that, everything worked beautifully! I used the computer for 2 days without a single glitch or any instability problems.

Last night I shut down my computer. This morning I turned on my computer and much to my horror (again) it would not boot and is giving me the "Memory Presence" error again. What puzzles me is that I have a new motherboard and new RAM! :eek:

My computer specs right now are the same as in my profile.

Lets call my two DIMMs of RAM "DIMM A" and "DIMM B".

After some testing I have found the following patterns:

If I stick DIMM A in slot 0 and DIMM B in slot 1, I get the error.

If I stick DIMM A in slot 0 and leave DIMM B out, the computer boots fine.

If I stick DIMM B in slot 0 and DIMM A in slot 1, I get the error.

If I stick DIMM B in slot 0 and leave DIMM A out, I get the error.

If I stick DIMM A in slot 2 and DIMM B in slot 3, I get the error.

If I stick DIMM A in slot 2 and leave DIMM B out, I get the error.

If I stick DIMM B in slot 2 and DIMM A in slot 3, I get the error.

If I stick DIMM B in slot 2 and leave DIMM A out, I get the error.

Basically, I can only get my computer to boot if I use DIMM A in slot 0. Any other combination and the system will give me the "Memory Presence" error.

Help! What is wrong? I have a new motherboard and RAM so surely its not one of those. Is it my CPU? My PSU? When the system was running fine for the past 2 days I didn't have any issues or symptoms. Even gaming with Crysis and Battlefield 2142 was without a glitch. :confused:

Thanks for your time,

LCARS

Hmm... I just managed to get it to boot with the following configuration:

DIMM B in slot 0 and DIMM A in slot 1.

This is the first time that I have gotten the "Memory Presence" error and been able to eventually boot with both sticks in.

I am still not sure what could cause this. I know its not a heat issue as the errors will occur from a cold start.

:confused:

I just tested both DIMMs in another computer with an intel board. It previously had been working just fine with two CM2X1024-6400 DIMMs in.

With my DIMMs it POSTs correctly but gives a BSOD right when Windows starts to load.

I also tried the CM2X1024-6400 DIMMs in my EVGA 780i board and it gets past the memory detection but just freezes on "CPU Speed Detect". I don't know if those DIMMs are compatible with my 780i though so it could just be that.

Edit: I put my RAM back in my computer in the configuration that it was just working in fine a few minutes ago (DIMM B in slot 0 and DIMM A in slot 1). Now it is giving me the "Memory Presence" error again. I really am at a lost as to what could cause it to work beautifully one minute and then not work the next minute.

Edit 2: I am suspicious that the culprit might be my in window air conditioning unit. I noticed that I have had it on a lot today so I decided to keep the "RAM in the DIMM B in slot 0 and DIMM A in slot 1" configuration and try booting the computer with the air conditioner off. It worked! Now I'm running the NVIDIA Memory Test in slow setting. I will also do a memtest later. This could just be coincidence with the air conditioner. I will test this theory for consistency throughout the day as I have time.

It sounds kinda far fetched but could it be that I was drawing too much power with the air conditioner for it to properly boot my beefy machine? I do have a 1200 Watt PSU and two 8800 GTX cards. Not to mention 4 monitors and some power hungry raptor HDDs.

• Corsair Employees

It sounds kinda far fetched but could it be that I was drawing too much power with the air conditioner for it to properly boot my beefy machine? I do have a 1200 Watt PSU and two 8800 GTX cards. Not to mention 4 monitors and some power hungry raptor HDDs.

Actually that is a realistic cause of the problem, can you move the power source to another outlet that is not on the same circuit?

I put a UPS on my computer and now it seems to be working normally. I'll be sure to post here if it stops working again.

By the way, I would like to say that I have been impressed with Corsair's quality of service over the years. I now recommend them to all of my friends.

Thanks for your help!

:D:

Ugh.

Guess what, today my computer started giving me the same Memory Presence error. I have my in window air conditioner and all other appliances unplugged.

I was thinking that this might be a PSU issue. So, today I went and bought a different 1200 Watt power supply to test in my computer. After plugging everything up, same error. :sigh!:

Right now I am running the computer with a new mobo, new memory, and a new psu. All I have plugged in is my cpu and ram. No graphics cards or hdds or anything. If I keep this up I will end up with a completely different computer! :(:

I have noticed one pattern. The error only occurs when DIMM B is plugged in. When DIMM A is plugged in alone, it will boot. When DIMM B is plugged in alone or in any combination with DIMM A, it won't boot. So it seems like DIMM B is faulty. This just doesn't seem likely because its memory that I received from Corsair via RMA.

The only other component that I havn't changed out is my CPU. This seems unlikely to me because I havn't gotten any CPU related errors and I have none of the classic symptoms of CPU failure. This whole problem is very bizzare as just last night I was playing Crysis with full high settings for hours and it didn't miss a beat. It seems like overnight with the computer completely powered off it randomly decides to stop working.

Any suggestions? :confused:

Archived