Corsair Community

Instant power-off problem with VX550W

csplayer089

I recently built a second system out of spare parts that I had lying around (therefore the specs of the system I am referring to are different from the specs found in my profile). However, I am having trouble with the system. After building the system and making sure all connections are secure and proper, I can not get the PC to turn on. I receive power for a split second, then nothing. It just turns off. The fans spin up and then they turn back off. I have tried everything; I have reseated the videocard, I have reseated the CPU, the RAM in different DIMM slots, I have even changed the screws on the motherboard to ensure a grounding problem wasn't the issue. I have also removed the power supply twice and then reinstalled it to no avail.

However, the PSU still functions if I perform the paper clip test.

:mad:

Thoughts?

Heres the spec's of the 2nd PC

AMD Athlon 64X2 3800+ AM2

MSI K9N Platnium AM2 mobo (nForce 570 Ultra)

2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-675 4-4-4-12

eVGA 7800GT PCI-e videocard

Hitachi SATA hard drive

Lite-On optical drive

Corsair VX550W power supply

Thermaltake WingRS 201 case

possibly; how would i turn on the system? the motherboard does not have on board buttons.

There are 2 pins on the MOBO where you would normally connect the power switch. Simply short them together for a second and the system will start assuming all else is hooked up properly. A small screwdriver or jumper cap will do the trick.

I have exactly the same problem here.

2secs power up then it shutsdown everything.

The only difference is that i have only installed the motherboard/ram/case wiring and case fans to test the build before i go any further.

3x checked the cables, they are where they belong, no clue what to do next.

any help would be great

o/

Quick Update: I removed the RAM and tested the power, it worked fine!! so it seems the ram was giving some problems even though i followed the mobo's instructions about the specific placing...Now on to trouble shoot the RAM :(

• Corsair Employees
ok, ive tried it and the same thing happens. a split second of power, and then instant off. :mad:

If possible I would try testing the PSU in your other system, just hook it up from outside the case and see if it gives you the same results. If so, then lets get it replaced, use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Rikoti, try testing each memory module one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and you should be able to isolate the single module thats causing the issues.

Rikoti, try testing each memory module one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and you should be able to isolate the single module thats causing the issues.

Not sure how to use memtest if i cant get the motherboard to boot with any of the memory sticks. I could try on my ancient back up computer (6yrs old pentium 4) but dunno if it will know what to do with a ddr3 ram module.

On the other hand, most of my buddies (if not all) are running ddr2 motherboards, can i still test my modules on their systems?

Should i go ahead and instal the rest of the components (video card, hdds, etc) and test again?

thanks for the feedback

• Corsair Employees
If neither of the modules will allow the system to boot up when tested individually, then I would take a single module and test it in each DIMM slot to see if you can rule out a failing DIMM slot that could be causing the issues.

Just to let you guys know (in case anyone else runs into this problem)

I found what was causing the problem ----> A fraking BENT PIN on the cpu socket on the motherboard :eek: i had to look 3x to find it...it was the top right corner and bent outwards towards the triangle symbol on the metal plate thingy.

I have no idea if it came like that or if it was bent during the cpu installation (which i doubt since to get it bent like that you have to actually stick something on it), i tried to fix it myself but it was beyond repair, i managed to get the mobo to boot for longer but it then went into a restarting loop, and i quickly decided to give up in case something else breaks. Hopefully the RMA wont gie me trouble :sigh!:

thanks for the quick support here though!!

cheers

Archived