Corsair Community

Compatible motherboard for TW3X4G1600C9DHX.

Brcobrem

Hi,

I have recently purchased your TW3X4G1600C9DHX SDRAM, an Intel Core2 Q9550S Yorkfield 2.83 Ghz LGA 75 65W Quad-Core, and an ASUS P5Q3 LGA 775Intel P45 ATX board and EVGA PCI-Express Video card. I have not yet begun assembly, but have been doing some research first. If I am not incorrect, I finding that other persons are having many "issues" with getting the ram to run at 1600 on this particular board. I do not desire to do any overclocking, I just want a fast setup that runs to manufacturer's specifications. Fyi - My last system build for myself was almost 10 years ago. I have upgraded many components on that old P2B-LS board since then, but now I want to get close to the top of the heap with Core2 Quad-Core without going to the price points of Core i7.

I have been using your Memory Configurator at:

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/memory_results.aspx?id=471725

to try to research a board that works. As far as Asus, it would seem that Nvidia SLI based boards like PN564 and Striker II seem to cause the least pain. I have always liked Asus, but am open to other options at this point.

I have budgeted around $250US for a motherboard. My functional need is for reasonably high performance workstation (I run multiple virtual machines for software and OS testing/training). Gaming might be fun, but this is a infrastructure production/testing environment. It could take days to run through the research of the all other boards you approve for that ram on that list. Based on your significant experience with this particular SDRAM, can make make any suggestions of Intel 775 motherboard(s) for me to consider?

I know that these DYI system builds are not always plug and play. I am just hoping that I can get this task completed as quickly as possible and end up with a stable work environment.

I will greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions that you care to provide.

Regards,

Brcobrem

Hi Corsair,

After 20 years providing desktop, server and miscellaneous infrastructure support, I've come to learn that when manufacturers suspect they have problems with their printed specifications, they don't always reply to posts asking for recommendations on what works. If fact, as an regular contributing author to IT trade journals these days, I'm now thinking about a new article that informs businesses about the pitfalls of buying higher end computer components to try to get more ROI (ie. it may no be worth the hassle).

Well, your support techs may hear from me again when I put this ram in a new Asus P5E3 Premium board that I ordered yesterday. Hopefully it will works as advertised and everyone will be happy. I RMA'd the ASUS P5Q3, based on a pinned post I saw after my original one.

Ah . . . self support, there's nothing like it.

Regards,

Brcobrem

If I am not incorrect, I finding that other persons are having many "issues" with getting the ram to run at 1600 on this particular board. I do not desire to do any overclocking, I just want a fast setup that runs to manufacturer's specifications.
The FSB of your CPU is only 1333, so to run the memory @ 1600 you will have to OC your CPU.

can make make any suggestions of Intel 775 motherboard(s) for me to consider?
Corsair cannot recommend a specific motherboard, as that would be a conflict of interest.

Hi Wired,

Thank you for your informative reply. Based on your knowledge (and my apparent lack thereof) on this subject, I did a little more research. I came up up with this article by Lee Penrod, at:

http://www.directron.com/fsbguide.html

Perhaps Corsair has a similar FAQ. If so, I would be interested in reading that if anyone knows it's location.

If I understand that article correctly, the fact that I purchased 1600MHz ram to use on a 1333MHz FSB CPU, may actually be a good thing. Especially the section, "Part V: Summary and Conclusion", where he mentions, "Although synchronizing the memory speed and the FSB speed is best it is OK to use memory that is faster then the FSB of your processor provided that the motherboard supports it."

Of special interest to me personally, is also William Henning's article:

"DDR2 vs DDR3: The Battle of Latency vs. Bandwidth - Asus P5K3 Deluxe WiFi & Corsair TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX Review" at:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/ddr2_vs_ddr3/

This is similar to the rig I'm building, except I'm using the Q9550s and the 1600 ram. The article speaks very well of the Corsair prouct.

Thanks again Wired. I appreciate your comments.

Regards,

Brcobrem

Archived